Local Employment Requirements
- Most employers prefer grade 12 graduation and meat cutting training.
- Previous retail experience is preferred; however, willingness to learn and ability to provide excellent customer service are crucial.
- Previous safety and employment standards training considered a strong asset (e.g. First Aide and C.P.R., food handling and safety, WHMIS.)
- Previous experience cutting meat and handling meat cutting knives is highly valued.
Local Skills Requirements
- Ability to complete in-house meat cutting training program if necessary.
- Willingness to regularly update knowledge base and skills.
- Willingness to follow strict company rules regarding food handling and safety as well as sanitizing and regularly cleaning procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills when dealing with customers, staff and management.
- Ability to work as a team player and have a team approach.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Team based thinking and decision making when dealing with issues and problems.
There are often specific abilities, aptitudes and knowledge that are prerequisites to obtain employment in an occupation.
Most employers who advertise are looking for workers who have the following experience and skills:
Cut, trim and prepare standard cuts of meat. Remove bones from meat. Cut carcasses, sides and quarters. Grind meats.
Wrap and package prepared meats. Clean meats to prepare for processing or cutting. Weigh meats for sale. Sell meats to customers.
Oral communication, working with others and reading text.
Detailed profiles, requirements and application and admissions information.
- CEGEPs, Colleges and Universities
Find the school that best suits your needs.
Information on scholarships, bursaries, grants, and other forms of financial assistance.
Please follow the EdInfo link below to find training opportunities in Alberta related to this occupation.