Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers, not elsewhere classified, who perform various technical therapy and assessment functions. Some may assist professionals such as audiologists, speech-language pathologists, ophthalmologists and physiotherapists. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, educational institutions and in the private practices of the professionals they assist. Massage therapists may also be self-employed.
audio prosthetist, audiology technician, audiometric assistant, audiometric technician, hearing aid consultant, massage therapist (MT), ophthalmic assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic technologist, physical rehabilitation technician, physiotherapy technician, speech technician, speech therapist aide, speech therapy aide.
- Audio prosthetists examine clients to determine appropriate type of hearing aid; may test patient's hearing; take ear impressions for use in the manufacture of the devices; fit and adjust hearing aids; and perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
- Audiometric assistants administer, under the supervision of audiologists, tests such as speech reception and speech discrimination to determine the hearing thresholds of patients; and record these test results.
- Communication assistants carry out remedial programs, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists, to rehabilitate patients with communicative disorders.
- Massage therapists assess clients by conducting range of motion and muscle testing and propose treatment plans; treat soft tissues and joints of the body through soft tissue manipulation, hydrotherapy, remedial exercise programs and client self-help programs; provide courses of treatment for medical conditions and injuries or wellness maintenance; maintain records of treatments given; and may work with other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Ophthalmic medical assistants operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists to assess patients' vision; record test results; assist ophthalmologists in office surgery; and administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Physical rehabilitation technicians carry out, under physiotherapists' direction, treatment programs such as massage, thermotherapy, traction and hydrotherapy to rehabilitate injured or disabled individuals.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical Occupations in Therapy and Assessment in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Craton Construction Inc. and Dezota Construction Inc. are hiring for the Blackspring Ridge Wind Power Project in southern Alberta
- The Canadian Pheasant Company, in Brooks, is cutting hatchery production for 2013 and laying off approximately 12 employees. The facility will permanently close when all of its inventory is sold.
- Denny's will be hiring up to 40 employees by the end of June 2013 for its new restaurant in Brooks
- Alberta Transportation is spending $8.8M for highway upgrades between Lethbridge and Coaldale over the summer
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt opened at Park Place Mall in Lethbridge on April 13, 2013
- South Rock Ltd. is to begin construction of the Dunmore Road overpass in Medicine Hat on April 29, 2013
- Ground breaking for the new Quad Ball Diamond Facility in Brooks occurred on April 15, 2013
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has received funding for construction of a wireless internet tower
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- EDF EN Canada will begin construction on a $600M wind farm in southern Alberta. The projected is expected to be complete by mid-2014 and will create 250 construction jobs.
- Tollestrup Construction (2005) Ltd. has been awarded a $1.3M contract for road construction and underground utilities in Lethbridge
- Platinum Communications Corp. is expanding wireless infrastructure in southern Alberta
- Auto racing planned for the Fort Macleod Aerodrome from April to October 2013
- Date Modified: