Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, private clinics, research institutions and universities. Pathologists' assistants assist at autopsies and examinations of surgical specimens or perform autopsies under a pathologist's supervision. They are usually employed in hospitals. Medical laboratory technologists who are also supervisors are included in this unit group.
clinical immunology technologist, cytogenetics technologist – medical laboratory, histology technologist, immunohematology technologist, medical laboratory supervisor, medical laboratory technologist, medical technologist – medical laboratory, pathology assistant.
- Conduct chemical analyses of blood, urine, and cerebro-spinal and other body fluids
- Study blood cells and other tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations using techniques to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics
- Establish procedures for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments
- Perform blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- May supervise and train other medical laboratory technical staff, students and helpers
- May perform the duties of a pathologist's assistant in some hospitals.
Pathologists' assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Medical laboratory technologists may specialize in areas such as clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, hematology, histotechnology, immunohematology and cytotechnology.
- Prepare for autopsies by obtaining patients' medical records and arranging for radiographic examinations
- Assist with or perform autopsies and surgical specimen examinations under pathologists' supervision
- Dissect, examine, weigh and photograph organs and specimens, collect tissue specimens for chemical analysis and record findings
- May prepare bodies for release to funeral homes following completion of autopsies
- May train junior resident pathologists and train and supervise morgue attendants
- May perform the duties of a medical laboratory technologist in some hospitals.
Outlook & Prospects for Medical Laboratory Technologists and Pathologists' Assistants in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Craton Construction Inc. and Dezota Construction Inc. are hiring for the Blackspring Ridge Wind Power Project in southern Alberta
- The Canadian Pheasant Company, in Brooks, is cutting hatchery production for 2013 and laying off approximately 12 employees. The facility will permanently close when all of its inventory is sold.
- Denny's will be hiring up to 40 employees by the end of June 2013 for its new restaurant in Brooks
- Alberta Transportation is spending $8.8M for highway upgrades between Lethbridge and Coaldale over the summer
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt opened at Park Place Mall in Lethbridge on April 13, 2013
- South Rock Ltd. is to begin construction of the Dunmore Road overpass in Medicine Hat on April 29, 2013
- Ground breaking for the new Quad Ball Diamond Facility in Brooks occurred on April 15, 2013
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has received funding for construction of a wireless internet tower
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- EDF EN Canada will begin construction on a $600M wind farm in southern Alberta. The projected is expected to be complete by mid-2014 and will create 250 construction jobs.
- Tollestrup Construction (2005) Ltd. has been awarded a $1.3M contract for road construction and underground utilities in Lethbridge
- Platinum Communications Corp. is expanding wireless infrastructure in southern Alberta
- Auto racing planned for the Fort Macleod Aerodrome from April to October 2013
- Date Modified: