Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, private clinics, research institutions and universities. Pathologists' assistants assist at autopsies and examinations of surgical specimens or perform autopsies under a pathologist's supervision. They are usually employed in hospitals. Medical laboratory technologists who are also supervisors are included in this unit group.
clinical immunology technologist, cytogenetics technologist – medical laboratory, histology technologist, immunohematology technologist, medical laboratory supervisor, medical laboratory technologist, medical technologist – medical laboratory, pathology assistant.
- Conduct chemical analyses of blood, urine, and cerebro-spinal and other body fluids
- Study blood cells and other tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations using techniques to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics
- Establish procedures for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments
- Perform blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- May supervise and train other medical laboratory technical staff, students and helpers
- May perform the duties of a pathologist's assistant in some hospitals.
Pathologists' assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Medical laboratory technologists may specialize in areas such as clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, hematology, histotechnology, immunohematology and cytotechnology.
- Prepare for autopsies by obtaining patients' medical records and arranging for radiographic examinations
- Assist with or perform autopsies and surgical specimen examinations under pathologists' supervision
- Dissect, examine, weigh and photograph organs and specimens, collect tissue specimens for chemical analysis and record findings
- May prepare bodies for release to funeral homes following completion of autopsies
- May train junior resident pathologists and train and supervise morgue attendants
- May perform the duties of a medical laboratory technologist in some hospitals.
Outlook & Prospects for Medical Laboratory Technologists and Pathologists' Assistants in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Feb 24 - Feb 28, 2014
- The City of Lethbridge has approved a new pool basin and change rooms for the Henderson Lake Outdoor Swimming Pool. Construction is scheduled to start in August 2014 and be complete in 2015.
- Classic Construction is planning to begin construction in May 2014 on a skywalk connecting Chinook Village and Norwood Grande in Medicine Hat
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has rezoned a parcel of land northwest of Nanton, allowing for the development of a proposed gravel pit operation
- A new day-procedures unit at the Chinook Regional Hospital in Lethbridge has doubled the available operating space, increased the number of recovery beds and created a separate registration area
- The Kinship Park in Coaldale is slated for improvements and additions as a result of fundraising efforts by the local Kinsmen's Club
- IKEA, the Swedish furniture maker, is set to purchase the Alberta Wind Energy Corp. facility near Pincher Creek, when it comes online in August 2014
- Sport-Chek is hiring 15 full and part-time staff at the new location in Medicine Hat, opening by April 2014. GoodLife Fitness Club will also open a co-ed fitness facility at the same site soon.
- NaturEner has amended its Wild Rose 1 wind energy project south of Walsh, reducing the number of towers but installing more powerful turbines. The company anticipates awarding a contract by February 28, 2014 with construction starting in late 2014.
- Alberta Heat and Power LLC has filed an application with the Alberta Utilities Commission to construct a natural-gas fired electrical generating plant at the JBS Food Canada facility at Brooks, pending public input and review of the application
- The Government of Alberta has announced that a new Catholic elementary school will be built in Lethbridge, but no timeline was released for the construction
- The University of Lethbridge has launched the Canadian Centre for Research in Advanced Fluorine Technologies as a research hub for scientists, students and industry
- Date Modified: