Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware and related equipment, and information and communication system networks including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fibre-optic networks, wireless communication networks, Intranets, the Internet and other data communications systems. They are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware manufacturers, by engineering, manufacturing and telecommunications firms, in information technology consulting firms, by governmental, educational and research institutions and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) design engineer, computer engineer, computer hardware engineer, engineer, computer hardware, engineer, telecommunications hardware, fibre-optic network designer, hardware circuit board designer, hardware design engineer, hardware development engineer, hardware engineer, network systems engineer, network test engineer, systems designer – hardware, technical architect – hardware, wireless communications network engineer.
- Analyze user's requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
Computer engineers may specialize in a number of areas including analog and digital signal processing, fibre optics, integrated circuits, lasers, microprocessors, microwaves and radio astronomy.
Outlook & Prospects for Computer Engineers (Except Software Engineers and Designers) in Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lethbridge--Medicine Hat Region||N/A||N/A|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Craton Construction Inc. and Dezota Construction Inc. are hiring for the Blackspring Ridge Wind Power Project in southern Alberta
- The Canadian Pheasant Company, in Brooks, is cutting hatchery production for 2013 and laying off approximately 12 employees. The facility will permanently close when all of its inventory is sold.
- Denny's will be hiring up to 40 employees by the end of June 2013 for its new restaurant in Brooks
- Alberta Transportation is spending $8.8M for highway upgrades between Lethbridge and Coaldale over the summer
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt opened at Park Place Mall in Lethbridge on April 13, 2013
- South Rock Ltd. is to begin construction of the Dunmore Road overpass in Medicine Hat on April 29, 2013
- Ground breaking for the new Quad Ball Diamond Facility in Brooks occurred on April 15, 2013
- The Municipal District of Willow Creek has received funding for construction of a wireless internet tower
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- EDF EN Canada will begin construction on a $600M wind farm in southern Alberta. The projected is expected to be complete by mid-2014 and will create 250 construction jobs.
- Tollestrup Construction (2005) Ltd. has been awarded a $1.3M contract for road construction and underground utilities in Lethbridge
- Platinum Communications Corp. is expanding wireless infrastructure in southern Alberta
- Auto racing planned for the Fort Macleod Aerodrome from April to October 2013
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- The Government of Canada, through the Skills Link program, is providing over $556,000 to the Medicine Hat YMCA to help youth overcome barriers to employment
- Taber and Vauxhall airports receive funding for upgrades from the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund
- Medicine Hat in line for a new $7.1M residential detox facility by 2014
- Alvin Reinhard Fritz Architect Inc. has been awarded a $1.7M contract for the City of Lethbridge police station expansion
- Apex Power and Automation Ltd. has been awarded a $1.4M contract for electrical upgrades at the Lethbridge Exhibition
- Amron Construction of Redcliff will be building a new $2.2M fuel depot for the City of Lethbridge
- The City of Lethbridge, Telus, and Shaw are spending $7.4M to replace underground power lines in the city
- McNally Construction Ltd. is supplying $2.1M worth of asphalt to the City of Lethbridge in 2013
- Date Modified: