Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Underground mine service and support workers perform a range of duties related to the operation of orepasses, chutes and conveyor systems, the construction and support of underground structures, passages and roadways, and the supply of materials and supplies to support underground mining. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral mines.
backfiller, blaster helper, cage tender, conveyor operator, crusher operator, driller helper – underground mining, haulageman/woman, lamp keeper, materialman/woman, mine construction worker, orepass tender, pipeworker – underground mining, raise miner helper, skip tender, timberman/woman, trainman/woman.
- Operate and maintain ore chutes or conveyor systems to control flow of ore or coal in underground mine
- Operate construction equipment such as bulldozer, grader or backhoe to build and maintain underground passages and haulageways
- Construct and repair wood or metal supports and structures such as bulkheads, platforms, drift doors and chutes using construction and mining tools
- Attach and extend ventilation and water pipes and related mine service
- Assist miners in setting up and operating various drills and other mining machinery
- Supply and maintain backfill distribution of sand, rock or other materials
- Operate diesel or electric track haulage equipment such as ore trains to distribute personnel and supplies and to convey ore from orepass to primary crusher or skip
- Maintain supply storage areas and maintain equipment and supplies such as explosives, drill bits, fire extinguishers, lamps and batteries
- Perform routine maintenance of machinery.
Sydney, Port Hawkesbury, Belgiumtown, Bras d'Or, Bridgeport, Caledonia, Centreville Reserve Mines, Dominion, East Slope, Florence, Gannon Road, Glace Bay, Havenside, Hub, Kaneville, Little Bras d'Or, Louisbourg, McKays Corner, McLeods Crossing, Morien Hill, New Aberdeen, New Victoria, New Waterford, North Sydney, Passchendaele, Reserve Mines, Reserve Rows, River Ryan, Scotchtown, Steeles Hill, Sterling, Sydney Mines, Table Head, Tomkinsville
Wages for Underground Mine Service and Support Workers in Cape Breton Region
Wages depend on job requirements and work conditions. They also vary between regions, for reasons such as location, labour agreements, and the availability of workers. The wages below are estimated before taxes.
- Date Modified: