Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Workers in this unit group assist ship engineer officers to operate, maintain and repair engines, machinery and auxiliary equipment aboard ships or self-propelled vessels. They are employed by marine transportation companies and federal government departments including the armed forces.
engine room crew, ship, greaser, engine room, marine engine oiler, marine engineering mechanic – military, ship boiler tender, ship stoker.
- Assist ship engineer officers in performing routine maintenance work and repair to ship's engine, machinery and auxiliary equipment
- Monitor engine, machinery and equipment indicators, record variables and report abnormalities to ship engineer officer on watch
- Lubricate moving parts of engines, machinery and auxiliary equipment
- Operate and maintain off-loading liquid pumps and valves
- Clean engine parts and keep engine room clean.
Sydney, Port Hawkesbury, Belgiumtown, Bras d'Or, Bridgeport, Caledonia, Centreville Reserve Mines, Dominion, East Slope, Florence, Gannon Road, Glace Bay, Havenside, Hub, Kaneville, Little Bras d'Or, Louisbourg, McKays Corner, McLeods Crossing, Morien Hill, New Aberdeen, New Victoria, New Waterford, North Sydney, Passchendaele, Reserve Mines, Reserve Rows, River Ryan, Scotchtown, Steeles Hill, Sterling, Sydney Mines, Table Head, Tomkinsville
Outlook & Prospects for Engine Room Crew, Water Transport in Cape Breton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Cape Breton Region||2012-05-08|
Currently the chances of qualified Engine Room Crew finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area. There are a limited number of employers of this occupation in this region. Most engine room crew are employed with Marine Atlantic in North Sydney, which operates a ferry service to Newfoundland. Experienced crew with a 3rd class Motor Certificate or higher will have better chances of gaining employment.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Engine Room Crew in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Engine Room Crew (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The federal government will contribute $1.3M to the Fortress of Louisbourg in 2013 to develop new visitor activities and promote the 300th anniversary of its founding
- The OldTriangle Irish Alehouse, based in Halifax, plans to open a location in Sydney and train up to 50 workers
- The federal government will contribute to infrastructure projects in Cape Breton, including work on community centres, fire halls, and trails
- A new biomass fuel plant in Point Tupper expected to eventually create more than 200 direct and indirect jobs will start producing electricity in May 2013
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Construction has begun on a new space for North End Building Supplies of Port Hood. The bigger space is expected to be ready in early 2014, and the business expects to add to its staff of 16.
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- East Coast Metal Fabrication, a Sydney-based company that does local fabrication as well as work for the oil, gas, mining and shipbuilding sectors, has received a loan from the federal government, which will allow it to expand production
- According to the developer of the Louisbourg Resort Golf & Spa, some work will begin on the project this construction season despite delays since it was originally announced in 2006
- The owner of GeoWash Atlantic hopes to hire additional staff this year for his mobile car wash businesses in Bedford and Sydney
- Date Modified: