Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Grain elevator operators purchase grain from farmers, determine the grade, quality and weight of grain delivered, and maintain records for farmers and companies. They are employed by licensed grain elevator companies.
assistant grain elevator manager, grain elevator district manager, grain elevator operator, primary grain elevator operator.
- Calculate grain quota from information supplied by farmers and the Canadian Wheat Board
- Record quota and subsequent deliveries of grain from individual farmers
- Examine grain samples and conduct tests to determine grade and quality of grain
- Purchase grain and arrange for transport or storage of grain
- Weigh and record type of grain received or in storage and report data to grain company and Canadian Wheat Board
- Supervise activities of workers who operate equipment to clean and move grain in the elevator and who load trucks and rail cars, or operate equipment themselves to perform these activities
- Act as a farm supply sales agent for fertilizers, insecticides, and other farm supplies
- Maintain proper operation of elevator equipment.
Sydney, Port Hawkesbury, Belgiumtown, Bras d'Or, Bridgeport, Caledonia, Centreville Reserve Mines, Dominion, East Slope, Florence, Gannon Road, Glace Bay, Havenside, Hub, Kaneville, Little Bras d'Or, Louisbourg, McKays Corner, McLeods Crossing, Morien Hill, New Aberdeen, New Victoria, New Waterford, North Sydney, Passchendaele, Reserve Mines, Reserve Rows, River Ryan, Scotchtown, Steeles Hill, Sterling, Sydney Mines, Table Head, Tomkinsville
Outlook & Prospects for Grain Elevator Operators in Cape Breton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Cape Breton Region||2011-05-13|
Currently there is a limited chance of Grain Elevator Operators finding work in the local area as there are very few if any workers in this occupation.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research the opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Grain Elevator Operators in Nova Scotia is expected to be limited over the next 5 years due to the small size of the occupation in the province.
Additional information on Grain Elevator Operators (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The federal government will contribute $1.3M to the Fortress of Louisbourg in 2013 to develop new visitor activities and promote the 300th anniversary of its founding
- The OldTriangle Irish Alehouse, based in Halifax, plans to open a location in Sydney and train up to 50 workers
- The federal government will contribute to infrastructure projects in Cape Breton, including work on community centres, fire halls, and trails
- A new biomass fuel plant in Point Tupper expected to eventually create more than 200 direct and indirect jobs will start producing electricity in May 2013
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Construction has begun on a new space for North End Building Supplies of Port Hood. The bigger space is expected to be ready in early 2014, and the business expects to add to its staff of 16.
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- East Coast Metal Fabrication, a Sydney-based company that does local fabrication as well as work for the oil, gas, mining and shipbuilding sectors, has received a loan from the federal government, which will allow it to expand production
- According to the developer of the Louisbourg Resort Golf & Spa, some work will begin on the project this construction season despite delays since it was originally announced in 2006
- The owner of GeoWash Atlantic hopes to hire additional staff this year for his mobile car wash businesses in Bedford and Sydney
- Date Modified: