Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness lead and instruct groups and individuals in recreational, sports, fitness or athletic programs. They are employed by community centres, sports and fitness clubs, outdoor centres, resorts, recreational facilities, health care facilities, correctional institutions, government departments, private businesses, tourism associations and similar establishments.
Certified personal trainer, aerobics instructor, camp counsellor, day camp leader, fitness instructor, gymnastics teacher, lifeguard, personal trainer, playground worker, recreation program leader, riding instructor, ski instructor, ski patrol, swimming instructor – sports.
- Plan and carry out recreational, athletic, fitness and sports activities
- Assemble supplies and sports and game equipment
- Demonstrate and instruct athletic, fitness or sports activities and techniques
- Instruct groups and individuals in arts, crafts and similar activities and lead groups and individuals in recreational or leisure programs
- Attend to clients with special needs
- Provide lifestyle awareness information
- Conduct therapeutic recreational or athletic activities
- Monitor recreational, sports or fitness activities to ensure safety and provide emergency or first aid assistance when required
- Enforce safety rules and regulations
- Assist with co-ordination of special events
- Schedule activities, keep logs, maintain records and prepare reports
- May train and supervise staff
- May maintain and repair sports equipment.
Sydney, Port Hawkesbury, Belgiumtown, Bras d'Or, Bridgeport, Caledonia, Centreville Reserve Mines, Dominion, East Slope, Florence, Gannon Road, Glace Bay, Havenside, Hub, Kaneville, Little Bras d'Or, Louisbourg, McKays Corner, McLeods Crossing, Morien Hill, New Aberdeen, New Victoria, New Waterford, North Sydney, Passchendaele, Reserve Mines, Reserve Rows, River Ryan, Scotchtown, Steeles Hill, Sterling, Sydney Mines, Table Head, Tomkinsville
Outlook & Prospects for Program Leaders and Instructors in Recreation, Sport and Fitness in Cape Breton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Cape Breton Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-05-09|
Currently the chances of qualified Program Leaders and Instructors finding employment are considered to be good in the local area. Increased awareness of the link between physical activity and healthy living should continue to create demand for these types of workers. Although some are employed full time, part time work is common and some work can be seasonal. Opportunities are often created in summer for short term programming, which are usually filled by students. Ski Ben Eion operates instructional programs requiring instructors during the winter, and fitness clubs and facilities in the area offer opportunities for work.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Program Leaders and Instructors in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Program Leaders and Instructors (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 12 - Aug 16, 2013
- An $8.25M provincial government loan to Cabot Links golf resort in Inverness County will assist in the construction of a second golf course, Cabot Cliffs, and a hotel expansion which are expected to open in 2015
- NSCC's Nautical Institute and School of Fisheries in Port Hawkesbury received $800,000 from the province for marine studies
- The strke by faculty staff at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish continues after a proposal put forth by the school¿s administration was rejected by the union
- Cape Breton University ranked near bottom of Maclean¿s rankings
- Enterprise Cape Breton Corp. (ECBC) funds marina, ski hill developments in Ben Eoin
- Date Modified: