Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes medical technologists and technicians not elsewhere classified, such as dietary technicians, ocularists, prosthetists, orthotists, prosthetic technicians and orthotic technicians. Dietary technicians are employed in health care and commercial food service establishments such as hospitals, extended care facilities, nursing homes, schools, cafeterias and fast food outlets. Ocularists are employed in custom ocular prosthetic laboratories, or they may be self-employed. Prosthetists, orthotists and prosthetic and orthotic technicians are employed in hospitals, clinics, prosthetics and orthotics laboratories, and prosthetic device manufacturing companies. Prosthetists and orthotists may also be self-employed.
dietary technician, food and nutrition technician – dietetics, ocularist, ocularist technician, orthotic technician, orthotist, prosthetic technician, prosthetist.
- Dietary technicians assist dietitians or nutritionists to plan and supervise food service operations; plan menus and diet for individuals or groups under the direction of a dietitian or nutritionist; assist in the supervision of personnel who prepare and serve food; help patients select menu items; and assist dietitians with research in food, nutrition and food service systems.
- Ocularists design, fabricate and fit ocular prostheses and conformers, and may design and fabricate implants; paint the iris and pupil of artificial eyes; clean and restore ocular prostheses; advise patients concerning the loss of depth perception and the care and use of ocular prostheses; repair and maintain fabrication and laboratory equipment; and consult with ophthalmologists concerning insertion of ocular prostheses.
- Prosthetists and orthotists design, fabricate and fit prosthetic and orthotic appliances such as artificial limbs, braces or supports; interpret physicians' specifications and examine and measure patients to develop working sketches of appliances; make and modify plaster casts of areas to receive prostheses or orthoses; fit, adjust and repair appliances; advise patients in the use and care of prostheses and orthoses; and supervise and direct the activities of prosthetic and orthotic technicians.
- Prosthetic and orthotic technicians assemble or build prosthetic and orthotic appliances according to drawings, measurements and plaster casts using a variety of materials such as metals, plastics and leathers; repair, rebuild and modify prosthetic and orthotic appliances or orthopaedic footwear; and may take the body or limb measurements of patients.
Sydney, Port Hawkesbury, Belgiumtown, Bras d'Or, Bridgeport, Caledonia, Centreville Reserve Mines, Dominion, East Slope, Florence, Gannon Road, Glace Bay, Havenside, Hub, Kaneville, Little Bras d'Or, Louisbourg, McKays Corner, McLeods Crossing, Morien Hill, New Aberdeen, New Victoria, New Waterford, North Sydney, Passchendaele, Reserve Mines, Reserve Rows, River Ryan, Scotchtown, Steeles Hill, Sterling, Sydney Mines, Table Head, Tomkinsville
Outlook & Prospects for Other Medical Technologists and Technicians (Except Dental Health) in Cape Breton Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Cape Breton Region||2012-03-23|
Currently the chances of qualified workers in this occupation finding employment are considered to be fair in the local area. As in many health-related positions there is an increasing demand for many types of services as a result of increased needs from an aging population. This is a relatively small occupational group, which consists of occupations which may be employed in local hospitals and associated rehab units, as well as with private companies. There has been occasional demand in the region for orthotists, as the Cape Breton District Health Authority has advertised vacancies during the past year. There are only three schools in the country training orthotists, none of which are in Atlantic Canada. Positions usually require Orthotists and prosthetists to be certified with the Canadian Board for Certification of Prosthetists and Orthotists.
In addition to employment opportunities locally, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for workers in this occupation in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on workers in this occupation (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- The federal government will contribute $1.3M to the Fortress of Louisbourg in 2013 to develop new visitor activities and promote the 300th anniversary of its founding
- The OldTriangle Irish Alehouse, based in Halifax, plans to open a location in Sydney and train up to 50 workers
- The federal government will contribute to infrastructure projects in Cape Breton, including work on community centres, fire halls, and trails
- A new biomass fuel plant in Point Tupper expected to eventually create more than 200 direct and indirect jobs will start producing electricity in May 2013
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Construction has begun on a new space for North End Building Supplies of Port Hood. The bigger space is expected to be ready in early 2014, and the business expects to add to its staff of 16.
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- East Coast Metal Fabrication, a Sydney-based company that does local fabrication as well as work for the oil, gas, mining and shipbuilding sectors, has received a loan from the federal government, which will allow it to expand production
- According to the developer of the Louisbourg Resort Golf & Spa, some work will begin on the project this construction season despite delays since it was originally announced in 2006
- The owner of GeoWash Atlantic hopes to hire additional staff this year for his mobile car wash businesses in Bedford and Sydney
- Date Modified: