Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Nursery and greenhouse operators and managers plan, organize, direct and control the activities of nursery and greenhouse staff who grow and market trees, shrubs, flowers and plants.
Christmas tree farm operator, flower grower, greenhouse farmer, greenhouse manager, greenhouse operator, nursery farmer, nursery manager, nursery operator, plant grower – nursery.
- Plan, organize, direct and control the operations of nurseries and greenhouses
- Establish the environmental conditions required to grow trees, shrubs, flowers and plants, and design planting and care schedules accordingly
- Determine type and quantity of stock to grow
- Supervise staff in planting, transplanting, feeding and spraying stock
- Identify and control insect, disease and weed problems
- Develop marketing plans
- Provide information to customers on gardening and on the care of trees, shrubs, flowers, plants and lawns
- Order materials such as fertilizer, garden and lawn care equipment, and other nursery and greenhouse related accessories
- Hire and supervise staff, oversee training and set work schedules
- Maintain records on stock, finances and personnel.
Outlook & Prospects for Nursery and Greenhouse Operators and Managers in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Currently the chances of qualified Nursery and Greenhouse Operators and Managers finding employment are considered to be limited in the local area. The number of people working in this occupation in the area appears to be relatively small and some managers/operators may also be the business owners. Occasionally a manager may be hired on a seasonal basis to oversee some of the operations of a business but openings would be few. Large retail chains who may sell products from local nurseries and greenhouses may hire managers; however they would probably have a broader set of duties and might belong to another occupational group.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Nursery and Greenhouse Operators and Managers in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Nursery and Greenhouse Operators and Managers (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Mar 04 – Mar 08, 2013
- Snow Island Salmon Inc. hopes to expand its aquaculture operations on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia and will hold a job fair in the spring to add at least 20 people to its current staff of 12
- Date Modified: