Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers engaged in drilling for oil or gas, operating service rigs, or providing oil and gas well services. They are employed by drilling and well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
fracturing supervisor, multi-service operator, rig manager, toolpusher, well services crew supervisor.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who drill for oil and gas, operate service rigs or provide oil and gas well services
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines and equipment.
Outlook & Prospects for Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Currently the chances of qualified Supervisors in Oil and Gas Drilling finding employment are considered to be limited in the local area.The immediate Halifax area would offer few employment opportunities in this occupation. Although this is not a large occupational group, oil and gas activity in general in or offshore from Nova Scotia may offer occasional opportunities to highly skilled, experienced workers. However, no large employment increases are anticipated even during periods of active drilling, and activity is sporadic. Competition for positions can come from outside the area and workers need to be very mobile to maintain employment over long periods of time. Most vacancies are filled from those who have worked in the industry and moved up through the ranks.
Although employment opportunities locally are limited, opportunities may exist in other areas of the province or in other regions of the country. People who are able to work elsewhere may want to research opportunities for this occupation in other labour markets within Nova Scotia and across the country. The future employment outlook for Supervisors in Oil and Gas Drilling in Nova Scotia is expected to be fair over the next 5 years.
Additional information on Supervisors in Oil and Gas Drilling (opportunities in other areas, training, who hires, current job openings, statistics and other information), is available on other parts of this web site.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Ressources Appalaches has begun recruiting on its web site for 60 positions, including process operators, underground miners, and millwrights to work at its proposed Dufferin gold mine on the Eastern Shore
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Ressources Appalaches, a Quebec-based mining company, has secured funding and hopes to begin recruiting 50 to 60 people in the next month to restart operations at the Dufferin gold mine near Sheet Harbour
- Atlantic Gold hopes to begin production at the proposed gold mine in Moose River by the middle of 2015, although there are still hurdles to overcome
Week of Nov 19 – Nov 23, 2012
- Date Modified: