Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Drafting technologists and technicians prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information, in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers, or they may work independently. They are employed by consulting and construction companies, utility, resource and manufacturing companies, all levels of government and by a wide range of other establishments.
architectural draftsperson, computer-assisted design and drafting technologist, computer-assisted drafting (CAD) technician, design and drafting technologist, drafting technician, drafting technologist, draftsperson, electrical draftsperson, electromechanical draftsperson, electronic draftsperson, engineering design and drafting technologist, mechanical draftsperson, steel detailer – drafting, structural draftsperson, structural steel drafter-detailer, supervisor, drafting office.
- Develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data
- Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations
- Develop and prepare design sketches
- Complete documentation packages and produce drawing sets
- Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data
- Write technical reports
- Prepare contracts and tender documents
- Prepare construction specifications, costs and material estimates
- Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters.
- Develop and prepare engineering drawings, plans, diagrams or layouts from sketches
- Operate computer-assisted drafting equipment or a conventional drafting station
Outlook & Prospects for Drafting Technologists and Technicians in Halifax Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Nova Scotia.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Annapolis Valley Region||2011-10-06|
|Cape Breton Region||2011-05-12|
|North Shore Region||2011-06-09|
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Flight-simulation developer Atlantis Systems Corp., which employs 73 people in Dartmouth, will work with Calian Technologies Ltd. as part of a two-year technician training project for the Defence Department beginning in 2013
Week of Mar 04 – Mar 08, 2013
- The IBM Canadian Delivery Centre in Bedford opened in March 2013 and may eventually employ 500 IT professionals
Week of Feb 18 – Feb 22, 2013
- Health Outcomes Worldwide, a New Waterford-based company that develops mobile health care technology, hopes to double its workforce of 15 clinical, IT and customer service workers after receiving provincial funding to expand
- Colchester County's Ocean Sonics and Instrument Concepts won a $297,000 federal contract to monitor boat traffic
Week of Feb 04 – Feb 08, 2013
- Date Modified: