Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Fabric cutters cut fabric to make parts for garments, linens and other articles. Fur cutters cut fur pelts to make parts for garments and other fur articles. Leather cutters cut leather to make parts for shoes, garments and other leather articles. Fabric cutters are employed by clothing and textile manufacturers and other manufacturers of fabric products. Fur cutters are employed by furriers and fur products manufacturers. Leather cutters are employed by shoe and other leather products manufacturers.
clothing cutter, fabric cutter, fur cutter, glove cutter, leather cutter, sample cutter, shoe cutter.
- Place patterns on top of layers of fabric and cut fabric following patterns, using electric or manual knives, cutters or computer numerically controlled (CNC) cutting devices
- Adjust cutting technique to type of fabric and style of garment
- May cut fabric samples.
- Cut fur skins in diagonal strips to specified length and shape of pelt using furrier's knives and cutters
- Number pelts to indicate their location on pattern
- May sort or match skins, and may prepare fur samples.
- Select leather and cutting dies for leather goods and shoe parts according to specifications
- Position leather on cutting bed of machine, maximizing usage according to skin grain, skin flaws and skin stretch
- Operate clicker or punch press to stretch leather
- Operate machine to cut leather or cut single leather skins by hand to make leather products
- May cut leather samples.
Outlook & Prospects for Fabric, Fur and Leather Cutters in Nord-du-Québec Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Hydro-Québec has invested in power plant Robert-Bourassa, located in James Bay, and 150 workers will be added to its staff during summer (available in French only)
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- Following an investment of $159M, Xstrata Nickel has announced the opening of the Bracemac-Macleod mine in Matagami, creating 260 jobs (available in French only)
- Ressources Strateco eliminated approximately 100 jobs in Nord-du-Québec (available in French only)
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest $868M in the next five years for the development of infrastructures in Northern Québec (available in French only)
- Job Nord Québec helps job seekers and employers to meet their needs for the Nord-du-Québec region (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Since April 15, Mistissini has its own Tim Hortons restaurant, which led to the creation of at least 20 jobs (available in French only)
- Date Modified: