Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Fabric cutters cut fabric to make parts for garments, linens and other articles. Fur cutters cut fur pelts to make parts for garments and other fur articles. Leather cutters cut leather to make parts for shoes, garments and other leather articles. Fabric cutters are employed by clothing and textile manufacturers and other manufacturers of fabric products. Fur cutters are employed by furriers and fur products manufacturers. Leather cutters are employed by shoe and other leather products manufacturers.
clothing cutter, fabric cutter, fur cutter, glove cutter, leather cutter, sample cutter, shoe cutter.
- Place patterns on top of layers of fabric and cut fabric following patterns, using electric or manual knives, cutters or computer numerically controlled (CNC) cutting devices
- Adjust cutting technique to type of fabric and style of garment
- May cut fabric samples.
- Cut fur skins in diagonal strips to specified length and shape of pelt using furrier's knives and cutters
- Number pelts to indicate their location on pattern
- May sort or match skins, and may prepare fur samples.
- Select leather and cutting dies for leather goods and shoe parts according to specifications
- Position leather on cutting bed of machine, maximizing usage according to skin grain, skin flaws and skin stretch
- Operate clicker or punch press to stretch leather
- Operate machine to cut leather or cut single leather skins by hand to make leather products
- May cut leather samples.
Outlook & Prospects for Fabric, Fur and Leather Cutters in Nord-du-Québec Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 11 - Nov 15, 2013
- Garda, the security company, will be opening a branch in Chibougamau, creating job opportunities for security officers (available in French only)
- A $800M investment is scheduled for the construction of the Stornoway mine in James Bay, with operations scheduled for 2016. The first 11 years of operations will generate 432 direct jobs and 740 indirect jobs. (available in French only)
- Upon termination of two contracts that are about to end, the company Les Équipements J.V.C. of Chibougamau will temporarily lay off over 150 workers (available in French only)
- On October 12, the Government of Québec announced investments of $159.7M for various projects in Northern Québec, including $100M for major repairs on the James Bay Highway (available in French only)
- Date Modified: