Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Labourers in this unit group carry out a variety of general labouring and routine wood processing activities and assist pulp mill and papermaking machine operators. They are employed by pulp and paper, and paper converting companies, sawmills, planing mills, wood treatment plants, waferboard plants and other wood processing companies.
beater operator helper – pulp and paper, chip bin attendant – wood processing, conveyor cleaner – pulp and paper, green wood chainman/woman – wood processing, grinder feeder – pulp and paper, labourer – pulp and paper, labourer – wood processing, lumber straightener – wood processing, plywood dryer feeder, sheeter helper – pulp and paper, utility man/woman – pulp and paper.
- Feed logs onto conveyor and into hopper of grinding machine and align logs manually, using crowbar, picaroon or other tools and equipment
- Load wood chips, pulpwood, sulphur and other processing materials onto conveyors or processing tanks, remove recyclable paper and pulp from pulp and papermaking machines and transport recyclable paper and pulp to plant processing machines and equipment using forklift or other powered equipment
- Sort, pile and transport lumber, veneer sheets, panelboards and similar wood products during various stages of wood processing, manually or with powered equipment
- Remove scrap lumber and wood chips for reprocessing using forklift or other powered equipment
- Feed conveyors, saws, drying machines and other equipment to process lumber, shingles, veneer, plywood and similar wood products
- Clean wood processing machines and equipment and work areas using shovels, hoses and other tools
- Assist other wood processing workers to operate, maintain and repair various machines and equipment and carry out other wood processing activities.
Outlook & Prospects for Labourers in Wood, Pulp and Paper Processing in Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Elementary school École Sainte-Cécile, located in the Jonquière borough of Saguenay, will expand its gymnasium at a cost of $1.65M (available in French only)
- Fifteen-some workers have been laid off for a month-long period at Resolute Forest Products of Saint-Fulgence
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Club Piscine Super Fitness Saguenay has expanded its business in the Chicoutimi borough with a $4.5M investment (available in French only)
- IGA Extra Yvon Haché has invested $10M to relocate and set up shop in Place du Saguenay, in the facility formerly occupied by Zellers. Fifty-some employees will be hired to reach the grand total of 175 workers. (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The Centre d'excellence des drones is concentrating its activities in the Alma Airport with an investment of $4.3M (available in French only)
- The Fromagerie Perron in Saint-Prime will invest $500,000 to open a new restaurant and move its sales counter (available in French only)
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- The municipal garage in the Jonquière borough of Saguenay will be expanded with an investment of $4.75M (available in French only)
- Date Modified: