Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Longshore workers transfer cargo throughout dock area and onto and from ships and other vessels. They are employed by marine cargo handling companies, shipping agencies and shipping lines.
dockworker, longshore worker, longshoreman/woman, ship loader operator, stevedore, tanker loader.
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors and other mobile equipment to transfer cargo, such as containers, crated items, automobiles and pallet-mounted machinery, around dock to within range of cranes and hoists
- Operate winches or other hoisting devices to load and unload cargo onto and from ships and other vessels
- Operate mechanical towers to load vessels with materials such as coal and ore
- Operate equipment to transfer bulk materials, such as grain, to hold of vessels
- Connect hoses and operate equipment to transfer liquid materials into storage tanks on vessels
- Perform other activities such as lashing and shoring cargo aboard ships, opening and closing hatches, cleaning holds of ships and rigging cargo.
Outlook & Prospects for Longshore Workers in Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Musée du fromage cheddar of Saint-Prime has invested close to $1M to offer its clientele an interactive and gustatory experience as of June 2014 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Citing profitability problems, car dealership Volvo du Fjord in Chicoutimi will lay off its nearly dozen employees (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The primary college in Saint-Ambroise will be rebuilt and expanded at a cost of $5.5M (available in French only)
- 3 Wing Canadian Forces Base in Bagotville will be spending close to $11M on new radar systems (available in French only)
- The Centre d'entreprenariat et d'essaimage of the Université du Québec in Chicoutimi, will be building an $11M aluminum processing plant in Alma (available in French only)
- The City of Saguenay is investing $2.5M to renovate the Georges Vézina centre (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The Belle-de-Jour greenhouse workers cooperative in Saint-Nazaire invests close to $2M to improve its energy efficiency, which would allow it to maintain 55 jobs (available in French only)
- Chocolaterie des Pères Trappistes of Dolbeau-Mistassini invests $1.5M to improve its productivity and increase its production. Hence, the 25 current jobs will be consolidated. (available in French only)
- To face budget cuts, twenty-some positions at the Commission scolaire des Rives-du-Saguenay will be abolished (available in French only)
- Date Modified: