Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Painters and decorators apply paint, wallpaper and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures. They are employed by construction companies, painting contractors and building maintenance contractors, or they may be self-employed.
construction painter, maintenance painter, painter, painter and decorator, painter and decorator apprentice, paperhanger.
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- Advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.
Outlook & Prospects for Painters and Decorators in Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Gazon Savard in Saguenay has landed a contract of more than $14M to carry out the deforestation in Romaine-4 (available in French only)
Week of Feb 11 – Feb 15, 2013
- Work under the mini-hydroelectric station project on the Ouiatchouan River in Val-Jalbert is starting (available in French only)
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- The Saguenay-based company Cegerco plans to build a small hydroelectric generating station near Val-Jalbert on the Ouiatchouan River (available in French only)
Week of Nov 12 – Nov 16, 2012
- $19M for the highway between Alma and La Baie (available in French only)
- Date Modified: