Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants conduct research, formulate policies and manage programs to stimulate industrial and commercial business investment or tourism in urban and rural areas or to promote commercial or industrial products and services. They are employed by government departments, international organizations, marketing firms and business associations or may be self-employed.
business development officer, community economic development consultant, economic development officer, industrial development officer, market researcher, marketing analyst, marketing consultant, regional development analyst, tourism development officer, tourism industry consultant.
- Develop policies and administer programs to promote industrial and commercial business investment in urban and rural areas
- Design market research questionnaires
- Conduct social or economic surveys on local, regional or national areas to assess development potential and future trends
- Plan development projects and co-ordinate activities with representatives of a wide variety of industrial and commercial enterprises, community and business associations and government agencies
- Assess business opportunities and develop strategies to attract venture capital
- Respond to enquiries from members of the business community and general public concerning development opportunities
- Review and evaluate commercial or industrial development proposals and provide advice on procedures and requirements for government approval
- Conduct surveys and analyze data on the buying habits and preferences of wholesale or retail consumers
- Evaluate customer service and store environments
- Conduct comparative research on marketing strategies for industrial and commercial products
- Develop social and economic profiles of urban and rural areas to encourage industrial and commercial investment and development.
- Prepare reports, research papers, educational texts or articles
- Plan and develop E-commerce strategies
- Provide consultation on planning and starting of new businesses.
Outlook & Prospects for Business Development Officers and Marketing Researchers and Consultants in Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-05|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Opportunities will result primarily from positions left vacant by business Development Officers and Marketing Researchers who are retiring but also because of the high turnover rate.
Although opportunities for industrial commissioners will attract numerous candidates, some positions will be difficult to fill because employers generally look for a minimum of 5 to 8 years' experience in business or economic developments.
The requirements are lower, however, for positions in the regions and positions for business development officers. It is common for people to take regional positions to gain experience before applying for an industrial commissioner position in a city.
The turnover rate is quite high in this occupation. Although this work is more gratifying, it is very demanding and stressful and often involves working evenings and weekends.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Thanks to an investment of $1.6M, Oasis des Bâtisseurs retirement home will be expanded in Saint-Nazaire, with the addition of 23 dwelling units to the existing 12 (available in French only)
- A new retirement complex, Le Manoir du Fjord, will be built in La Baie. Eighteen million dollars will be invested in the first phase and $7M will be invested in the second phase. (available in French only)
- Coop¿rative Foresti¿re Petit-Paris in Saint-Ludger-de-Milot is investing $2.1M to upgrade its equipment and acquire a mobile forest camp (available in French only)
- After investing nearly $2M, M¿t¿ore Bar & Grill will open its doors in Dolbeau-Mistassini. The new cabaret restaurant-bar concept generated 35 jobs. (available in French only)
- La Chocolaterie des p¿res trappistes of Dolbeau-Mistassini is expanding and will be modernized thanks to a $1.45M investment. Thirty-some jobs will be consolidated. (available in French only)
- Thanks to a $2.7M investment, primary school Sainte-Bernadette of Chicoutimi will expand (available in French only)
- Following a $10M investment, IGA Extra Yvon Hach¿ has relocated by setting up shop at Place du Saguenay in the facility previously occupied by Zellers. Forty new jobs were added. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: