Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Respiratory therapists assist physicians in the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with respiratory and cardiopulmonary disorders. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, health units, extended care facilities, public health centres and respiratory home care companies. Clinical perfusionists provide technical support to patients undergoing cardiac surgery and patients requiring cardio-respiratory support. Cardiopulmonary technologists assist physicians in the technical aspects of diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease. Clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists are primarily employed in hospitals. Supervisors and instructors of respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists are included in this unit group.
cardiopulmonary technologist, cardiovascular perfusion supervisor, cardiovascular perfusionist, certified clinical perfusionist (CCP), chief respiratory technologist, clinical perfusionist, perfusionist, registered respiratory therapist (RRT), respiratory therapist, respiratory therapy clinical instructor.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as arterial blood gas analysis and cardiopulmonary functions tests
- Operate and monitor respiratory equipment to administer treatments such as oxygen, oxygen-air mixtures, humidified air or medications
- Operate, monitor, maintain and test a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Assess patients and perform or assist with interventions such as airway maintenance, line insertions, inductions and intubations
- Perform artificial respiration and external cardiac massage
- Assist with transport of high-risk patients
- Supervise and train students and other respiratory therapists
- Participate in home care programs for chronic respiratory patients and provide patient and family education
- Participate in research related to cardiac and pulmonary disorders.
Clinical perfusionists perform some or all of the following duties:
Respiratory therapists may specialize in areas such as anaesthesia, critical care, pediatrics, cardiopulmonary diagnostics and respiratory home care.
- Assemble, maintain and operate extracorporeal circulation equipment, intra-aortic balloon pumps and other heart assist devices to support or temporarily replace patients' cardiopulmonary functions during open-heart surgery
- Administer blood products, drugs and other substances through heart-lung machines and other devices as directed by cardiac surgeons and anaesthetists
- Monitor vital signs to maintain patients' physiological functions during cardiopulmonary surgery
- Supervise and train student clinical perfusionists and other clinical perfusionists.
- Perform diagnostic tests, such as pulmonary function and asthma stress, or assist physicians with cardiac and cardiopulmonary stress tests and bronchoscopies
- Determine patients' blood characteristics such as activated clotting time and oxygen saturation
- Operate, monitor, maintain, calibrate and test diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- Monitor patients and advise physician of any changes in patients' condition
- Prepare medications and administer inhaler and other treatments under supervision of cardiologist
- Provide information and care for patients during tests
- Assist with the preparation of cardiac catheterization room, prepare specialized catheters and assist cardiologists during catheterization
- Perform analysis, programming and monitoring of implanted devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators during surgery
- Supervise and train students and other cardiopulmonary technologists
- Provide technical support for research.
Outlook & Prospects for Respiratory Therapists, Clinical Perfusionists and Cardiopulmonary Technologists in Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Musée du fromage cheddar of Saint-Prime has invested close to $1M to offer its clientele an interactive and gustatory experience as of June 2014 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Citing profitability problems, car dealership Volvo du Fjord in Chicoutimi will lay off its nearly dozen employees (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The primary college in Saint-Ambroise will be rebuilt and expanded at a cost of $5.5M (available in French only)
- 3 Wing Canadian Forces Base in Bagotville will be spending close to $11M on new radar systems (available in French only)
- The Centre d'entreprenariat et d'essaimage of the Université du Québec in Chicoutimi, will be building an $11M aluminum processing plant in Alma (available in French only)
- The City of Saguenay is investing $2.5M to renovate the Georges Vézina centre (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The Belle-de-Jour greenhouse workers cooperative in Saint-Nazaire invests close to $2M to improve its energy efficiency, which would allow it to maintain 55 jobs (available in French only)
- Chocolaterie des Pères Trappistes of Dolbeau-Mistassini invests $1.5M to improve its productivity and increase its production. Hence, the 25 current jobs will be consolidated. (available in French only)
- To face budget cuts, twenty-some positions at the Commission scolaire des Rives-du-Saguenay will be abolished (available in French only)
- Date Modified: