Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, private clinics, research institutions and universities. Pathologists' assistants assist at autopsies and examinations of surgical specimens or perform autopsies under a pathologist's supervision. They are usually employed in hospitals. Medical laboratory technologists who are also supervisors are included in this unit group.
clinical immunology technologist, cytogenetics technologist – medical laboratory, histology technologist, immunohematology technologist, medical laboratory supervisor, medical laboratory technologist, medical technologist – medical laboratory, pathology assistant.
- Conduct chemical analyses of blood, urine, and cerebro-spinal and other body fluids
- Study blood cells and other tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions
- Prepare tissue sections for microscopic examinations using techniques to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics
- Establish procedures for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments
- Perform blood group, type and compatibility tests for transfusion purposes
- May supervise and train other medical laboratory technical staff, students and helpers
- May perform the duties of a pathologist's assistant in some hospitals.
Pathologists' assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Medical laboratory technologists may specialize in areas such as clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, hematology, histotechnology, immunohematology and cytotechnology.
- Prepare for autopsies by obtaining patients' medical records and arranging for radiographic examinations
- Assist with or perform autopsies and surgical specimen examinations under pathologists' supervision
- Dissect, examine, weigh and photograph organs and specimens, collect tissue specimens for chemical analysis and record findings
- May prepare bodies for release to funeral homes following completion of autopsies
- May train junior resident pathologists and train and supervise morgue attendants
- May perform the duties of a medical laboratory technologist in some hospitals.
Outlook & Prospects for Medical Laboratory Technologists and Pathologists' Assistants in Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-31|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- The health and social services institutions in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean will be looking to hire over 3,550 people over the next three years (available in French only)
- Over $10M will be invested to build deluxe condominiums and condo hotels in Saint-Gédéon (available in French only)
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Elementary school École Sainte-Cécile, located in the Jonquière borough of Saguenay, will expand its gymnasium at a cost of $1.65M (available in French only)
- Fifteen-some workers have been laid off for a month-long period at Resolute Forest Products of Saint-Fulgence
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Club Piscine Super Fitness Saguenay has expanded its business in the Chicoutimi borough with a $4.5M investment (available in French only)
- IGA Extra Yvon Haché has invested $10M to relocate and set up shop in Place du Saguenay, in the facility formerly occupied by Zellers. Fifty-some employees will be hired to reach the grand total of 175 workers. (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The Centre d'excellence des drones is concentrating its activities in the Alma Airport with an investment of $4.3M (available in French only)
- The Fromagerie Perron in Saint-Prime will invest $500,000 to open a new restaurant and move its sales counter (available in French only)
- Date Modified: