Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Drillers in this unit group operate mobile drilling machines to bore blast holes in open-pit mines and quarries and to bore holes for blasting and for building foundations at construction sites. Blasters in this unit group fill blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore and rock or to demolish structures. They are employed by mining, quarrying and construction companies and by drilling and blasting contractors.
blaster – surface mining, blaster, construction, driller, construction, foundation drill operator, open-pit blaster, open-pit driller, rotary drilling machine operator.
- Drive and operate tracked or truck-mounted rotary drilling, air-track or other drilling machines to bore large blast holes to specified depths at staked positions in open-pit mine or quarry
- Operate drilling machines to drill blast holes in rock at road or other construction sites
- Operate tracked or truck-mounted drill equipped with auger or other attachment to drill holes for building foundations or pilings
- May measure location and stake out pattern of holes to be drilled, load blast holes with explosives and detonate explosives to dislodge coal, ore or rock.
- Read instructions or diagrams, lay out drill pattern and determine depth and diameter of blast holes and conduct field tests to determine type and quantity of explosives required
- Assemble or direct other workers to assemble primer charges using selected detonators, fuses, detonating cords and other materials
- Load explosives in blast holes by hand or direct movement of bulk explosives trucks to load holes
- Connect electrical wires, detonating cords or fuses into series and connect series to blasting machines; press handle or button to detonate charges
- Handle, store and transport explosives and accessories in accordance with regulations and ensure that safety procedures are observed
- May operate air-track, rotary, down-the-hole or other drilling machines to drill blast holes or may direct drilling of blast holes.
Outlook & Prospects for Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laurentides Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-01|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Construction work on a new $20M industrial and commercial condo project, Icondo, has recently begun on the Lac Mirabel site in Mirabel. The first tenant companies will arrive in the summer of 2013. (available in French only)
- The Target store chain will be undergoing a hiring period in the south of the Laurentians during the next few weeks in Blainville for its Boisbriand, Saint-Eustache and Saint-Jérôme locations, with the opening scheduled for fall 2013 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest close to $53M in Saint-Jérôme for the construction of a new home-care centre in long-term care for people faced with a loss of independence. Construction will begin in 2015 and the opening is scheduled for 2017. (available in French only)
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest $92M in the construction of a new mental health care pavilion located at the Hôpital régional de Saint-Jérôme. Construction work will begin in 2015 and end in 2018. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Cinémas Guzzo will invest $18M in the construction of a motion picture theatre in Sainte-Thérèse, which will replace the current establishment. The new theatre will have 10 rooms and 2 IMAX rooms. It is due to open in December 2014. (available in French only)
- Clôtures Inovart, a new aluminum fence manufacturing company, has recently opened its doors in Bois-des-Filion. The company employs nearly a dozen people and plans to hire more. (available in French only)
- Messier-Bugatti-Dowty, a manufacturer of landing gears, has inaugurated its new plant in Mirabel. Construction required a $58M investment and will lead to the creation of 60 new jobs to its current roster of 265 jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The Maxi supermarket located in the Galeries Laurentides in Saint-Jérôme will move into the space formerly occupied by Zellers in the fall of 2013 after spending over $2M on renovations. The new location offers double the square footage. (available in French only)
- Humani, a private medical clinic offering family medicine services, recently opened in Rosemere. Construction had started in 2012. The facility has hired over 20 people and its offerings include a variety of specialized services. (available in French only)
- An 84-room hotel will be built on the site of the Far Hills hotel in Val-Morin and will include a restaurant and a conference room. The project, which is to cost over $10M, will begin in September and will open in the winter of 2014, creating 80 jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: