Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers who assist elementary and secondary school teachers and counsellors. They are employed in public and private elementary and secondary schools, special schools and treatment centres.
educational assistant, educational resources assistant, lunch room supervisor, program assistant, education, secondary school teacher's assistant, special education assistant, staff assistant, education, teacher's aide, teacher's assistant.
- Assist students with lessons under direct supervision of classroom teacher
- Monitor and report to classroom teacher on student progress
- Assist in preparation of learning materials and environment
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in school gymnasiums, laboratories, libraries, resource centres and on field trips
- Assist special needs students, such as those with mental or physical disabilities, with mobility, communication and personal hygiene
- Prepare classroom displays and bulletin boards
- Operate or assist teacher in operation of projectors, tape recorders and other audio-visual equipment and office equipment such as photocopier, fax machine and computer
- Carry out behaviour modification, personal development and other therapeutic programs under supervision of professionals such as special education instructors, psychologists or speech-language pathologists
- Work with special needs students using techniques such as sign language, Bliss symbols or Braille
- Monitor students during recess, at noon hour or during the day
- May assist with marking of tests and worksheets
- Assist with classroom inventory
- Assist in school library or office and perform other duties assigned by school principal.
Outlook & Prospects for Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Assistants in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laurentides region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- The Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles will invest over $19M in the construction of two elementary schools with 21 classrooms in the Saint-Joseph-du-Lac and Mirabel areas. The schools are scheduled to open in September 2015. (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire de la Rivière-du-Nord will be investing almost $29M to build two elementary schools in the Saint-Jérôme and Sainte-Sophie areas and to expand two schools in Saint-Jérôme and Mirabel. The schools are scheduled to open in September 2015. (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire des Laurentides announced an investment of almost $3M to expand the Amherst school in order to add four classrooms (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- Due to the demographic explosion in the Laurentides, the ministère de l'Éducation du Québec has announced an investment of nearly $15M to enlarge and renovate the facilities of the CEGEP de St-Jérôme and increase its capacity (available in French only)
- The CEGEP de St-Jérôme recently opened the Neurones et papilles restaurant, part of the new Gestion d'un établissement de restauration program that will welcome about thirty students after an investment of more than $2.4M (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- New, private elementary school École Imgaine, based on the Waldorf education, will open its doors in September 2013 in Val-David (available in French only)
Week of Oct 22 – Oct 26, 2012
- A new elementary school is being built in Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac. The building should welcome 515 students in September 2013. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: