Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers, retail and wholesale, prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale in retail or wholesale food establishments. They are employed in supermarkets, grocery stores, butcher shops and fish stores or may be self-employed. Butchers who are supervisors or heads of departments are included in this group.
butcher apprentice, butcher, retail, fishmonger – retail, head butcher – wholesale, meat cutter – retail or wholesale, supermarket meat cutter.
- Cut, trim, and otherwise prepare standard cuts of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish for sale at self-serve counters or according to customers' orders
- Grind meats and slice cooked meats using powered grinders and slicing machines
- Prepare special displays of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish
- Shape, lace and tie roasts and other meats, poultry or fish and may wrap prepared meats, poultry, fish and shellfish
- Manage inventory, keep records of sales and determine amount, product line and freshness of products according to company and customer requirements
- Ensure food storage conditions are adequate
- May supervise other butchers, or meat cutters or fishmongers.
Outlook & Prospects for Butchers, Meat Cutters and Fishmongers – Retail and Wholesale in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laurentides region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- The Target store chain will be undergoing a hiring period in the south of the Laurentians during the next few weeks in Blainville for its Boisbriand, Saint-Eustache and Saint-Jérôme locations, with the opening scheduled for fall 2013 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The Maxi supermarket located in the Galeries Laurentides in Saint-Jérôme will move into the space formerly occupied by Zellers in the fall of 2013 after spending over $2M on renovations. The new location offers double the square footage. (available in French only)
Week of Nov 19 – Nov 23, 2012
- Opening of a new Super C supermarket in Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac. The $5.1M investment will create 70 new jobs. (available in French only)
- The Patrick Morin hardware store opened a new location in Prévost. This Laurentians-based company has invested $7M and employs 60 people. (available in French only)
Week of Oct 22 – Oct 26, 2012
- The construction of the commercial complex Sortie 28 will begin in the spring of 2013 in Blainville. The $60M investment will allow for the construction of several commercial buildings. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: