Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, prepare reports, provide consultation and advice and administer programs in a variety of areas related to the natural and applied sciences. They are employed by federal, provincial and municipal governments, computer and office furniture manufacturers, educational institutions, research organizations, consulting firms, environmental and conservation organizations, or they may be self-employed.
energy policy analyst, environmental impact analyst, environmental issues lobbyist, ergonomist, fisheries analyst, human factors specialist (except engineer), industrial hygienist, natural resources policy analyst, occupational hygienist, patent agent, program officer, natural and applied sciences, recycling program co-ordinator, scientific consultant, supervisor, environmental program development, transportation program analyst, transportation safety analyst.
- Ergonomists or human factors specialists conduct research and advise on, and intervene in the physical, social and psychological interrelationships between persons, their equipment and working or living environments to ensure that the design, configuration and use of equipment, procedures and environmental conditions maximize safety, productivity and comfort.
- Occupational or industrial hygienists study, evaluate and control physical, chemical and biological hazards and stresses in the workplace. They report and document investigations and conclusions, suggest changes to work environments and processes and provide information to workers and managers or employers on methods to reduce the risk of injury or illness from specific occupational hazards. They may also teach safe work procedures, participate in emergency response planning, testify at hearings and report findings at scientific conferences or in scientific journals.
- Patent agents advise clients on elements of patent law and on the patentability of inventions, conduct patent searches, prepare patent applications and represent clients before the patent office.
- Science policy and program officers conduct research and advise on policies or develop or administer programs related to transportation, communications, natural resources, agriculture, the environment, energy, land use, recycling and other scientific fields. They promote public awareness and education on such issues as utilization of natural resources, the environment, and reprocessing and reduction of waste.
Outlook & Prospects for Natural and Applied Science Policy Researchers, Consultants and Program Officers in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laurentides Region||<Not assigned>||2012-10-31|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the local area with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Construction work on a new $20M industrial and commercial condo project, Icondo, has recently begun on the Lac Mirabel site in Mirabel. The first tenant companies will arrive in the summer of 2013. (available in French only)
- The Target store chain will be undergoing a hiring period in the south of the Laurentians during the next few weeks in Blainville for its Boisbriand, Saint-Eustache and Saint-Jérôme locations, with the opening scheduled for fall 2013 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest close to $53M in Saint-Jérôme for the construction of a new home-care centre in long-term care for people faced with a loss of independence. Construction will begin in 2015 and the opening is scheduled for 2017. (available in French only)
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest $92M in the construction of a new mental health care pavilion located at the Hôpital régional de Saint-Jérôme. Construction work will begin in 2015 and end in 2018. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Cinémas Guzzo will invest $18M in the construction of a motion picture theatre in Sainte-Thérèse, which will replace the current establishment. The new theatre will have 10 rooms and 2 IMAX rooms. It is due to open in December 2014. (available in French only)
- Clôtures Inovart, a new aluminum fence manufacturing company, has recently opened its doors in Bois-des-Filion. The company employs nearly a dozen people and plans to hire more. (available in French only)
- Messier-Bugatti-Dowty, a manufacturer of landing gears, has inaugurated its new plant in Mirabel. Construction required a $58M investment and will lead to the creation of 60 new jobs to its current roster of 265 jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The Maxi supermarket located in the Galeries Laurentides in Saint-Jérôme will move into the space formerly occupied by Zellers in the fall of 2013 after spending over $2M on renovations. The new location offers double the square footage. (available in French only)
- Humani, a private medical clinic offering family medicine services, recently opened in Rosemere. Construction had started in 2012. The facility has hired over 20 people and its offerings include a variety of specialized services. (available in French only)
- An 84-room hotel will be built on the site of the Far Hills hotel in Val-Morin and will include a restaurant and a conference room. The project, which is to cost over $10M, will begin in September and will open in the winter of 2014, creating 80 jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: