Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Educational counsellors advise current and prospective students on educational issues, career planning and personal development and co-ordinate the provision of counselling services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff. They are employed by school boards, universities and colleges, technical institutes, correctional facilities and government agencies.
academic counsellor, educational counsellor, guidance counsellor, school counsellor, student counsellor.
- Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, time tables and scheduling, school adjustment, attendance problems and study skills
- Counsel students regarding career or vocational issues including career exploration and planning, résumé preparation, job interview skills and job search strategies and make available to them a wide range of educational and occupational information
- Counsel students regarding personal and social issues such as substance abuse, depression, sexuality, eating disorders, anxiety, self-esteem, family problems, relationship and interpersonal skills and anger management
- Counsel students in crisis situations such as dealing with the death of a friend or family member, suicidal tendencies and abuse situations
- Consult with teachers and parents or faculty and other professionals such as psychologists, speech therapists and social workers regarding various issues and concerns, and with administrators and community agencies regarding programs and referrals
- Co-ordinate co-op and school-to-work transition programs, and the provision of counselling and information services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff such as career information services, professional development sessions and interactions with other educational institutions
- Supervise peer counselling programs in school settings
- Administer and interpret standardized intelligence, personality, vocational, aptitude and interest tests
- Develop and co-ordinate study skills groups or workshops in colleges and universities on topics such as note-taking, test or examination anxiety and preparation strategies and time management skills
- Co-ordinate or participate in student orientation programs in colleges or universities
- Arrange for employers to recruit graduating college and university students, and students for co-op education work terms
- Visit colleges and secondary schools to provide academic information to prospective students, their parents and educational counsellors
- May supervise field experience for graduate students in counselling
- May teach regular classes.
Outlook & Prospects for Educational Counsellors in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laurentides Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-02|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laurentides region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Aug 19 - Aug 23, 2013
- A new 21-classroom primary school will be built at the cost of more than $9M in Saint-Joseph-du-Lac. Opening is scheduled for September 2015. (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire de la Rivière-du-Nord announced the construction of a new primary school in Sainte-Sophie at the cost of $10M. The facility, which will house 21 classrooms and accommodate 460 students, will open its doors in January 2015. (available in French only)
- Collège Boisbriand, a private secondary school, invested $2M to expand its building to a capacity of 400 students (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles will invest over $19M in the construction of two elementary schools with 21 classrooms in the Saint-Joseph-du-Lac and Mirabel areas. The schools are scheduled to open in September 2015. (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire de la Rivière-du-Nord will be investing almost $29M to build two elementary schools in the Saint-Jérôme and Sainte-Sophie areas and to expand two schools in Saint-Jérôme and Mirabel. The schools are scheduled to open in September 2015. (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire des Laurentides announced an investment of almost $3M to expand the Amherst school in order to add four classrooms (available in French only)
- Due to the demographic explosion in the Laurentides, the ministère de l'Éducation du Québec has announced an investment of nearly $15M to enlarge and renovate the facilities of the CEGEP de St-Jérôme and increase its capacity (available in French only)
- The CEGEP de St-Jérôme recently opened the Neurones et papilles restaurant, part of the new Gestion d'un établissement de restauration program that will welcome about thirty students after an investment of more than $2.4M (available in French only)
- Date Modified: