Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Court officers co-ordinate the administrative and procedural functions of federal, provincial and territorial courts, such as scheduling trials and overseeing the maintenance of court records. Justices of the peace administer oaths, issue subpoenas, summonses and warrants and perform other court-related duties such as conducting bail hearings. They are employed by federal and provincial courts.
Supreme Court registrar, administrator of the court, clerk of the court, co-ordinator of court services, commissioner of affidavits, commissioner of marriages, court administrator, court clerk supervisor, court officer, court registrar, deputy registrar, judicial administrator, judicial court administrator, judicial officer, justice of the peace, manager, court services, registrar of bankruptcy, trial co-ordinator.
- Co-ordinate administrative services and establish work priorities for court staff
- Schedule court trials and arrange pre-trial conferences and hearings
- Call courts of law to order, read charges and take pleas from defendants
- Record court commencement, trial proceedings and judgements
- Collect and record sheriff fees, transcription fees and other court administrative and services fees
- Oversee the maintenance of judicial court records
- Assist in preparing annual budgets
- May be justices of the peace.
- Issue subpoenas, summonses and warrants, including search warrants
- Receive affidavits, declarations and affirmations
- Administer oaths
- Conduct bail hearings
- Release defendants on judges' orders and explain rights and obligations
- Hear evidence at trials on summary conviction offences and may preside over trials of criminal offences at the discretion of the chief judge of the jurisdiction or as provided for in federal, provincial or territorial statutes
- Perform civil marriages.
Outlook & Prospects for Court Officers and Justices of the Peace in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laurentides region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Construction work on a new $20M industrial and commercial condo project, Icondo, has recently begun on the Lac Mirabel site in Mirabel. The first tenant companies will arrive in the summer of 2013. (available in French only)
- The Target store chain will be undergoing a hiring period in the south of the Laurentians during the next few weeks in Blainville for its Boisbriand, Saint-Eustache and Saint-Jérôme locations, with the opening scheduled for fall 2013 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest close to $53M in Saint-Jérôme for the construction of a new home-care centre in long-term care for people faced with a loss of independence. Construction will begin in 2015 and the opening is scheduled for 2017. (available in French only)
- The gouvernement du Québec will invest $92M in the construction of a new mental health care pavilion located at the Hôpital régional de Saint-Jérôme. Construction work will begin in 2015 and end in 2018. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Cinémas Guzzo will invest $18M in the construction of a motion picture theatre in Sainte-Thérèse, which will replace the current establishment. The new theatre will have 10 rooms and 2 IMAX rooms. It is due to open in December 2014. (available in French only)
- Clôtures Inovart, a new aluminum fence manufacturing company, has recently opened its doors in Bois-des-Filion. The company employs nearly a dozen people and plans to hire more. (available in French only)
- Messier-Bugatti-Dowty, a manufacturer of landing gears, has inaugurated its new plant in Mirabel. Construction required a $58M investment and will lead to the creation of 60 new jobs to its current roster of 265 jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The Maxi supermarket located in the Galeries Laurentides in Saint-Jérôme will move into the space formerly occupied by Zellers in the fall of 2013 after spending over $2M on renovations. The new location offers double the square footage. (available in French only)
- Humani, a private medical clinic offering family medicine services, recently opened in Rosemere. Construction had started in 2012. The facility has hired over 20 people and its offerings include a variety of specialized services. (available in French only)
- An 84-room hotel will be built on the site of the Far Hills hotel in Val-Morin and will include a restaurant and a conference room. The project, which is to cost over $10M, will begin in September and will open in the winter of 2014, creating 80 jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: