Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Securities agents and investment dealers buy and sell stocks, bonds, treasury bills, mutual funds and other securities for individual investors, pension fund managers, banks, trust companies, insurance firms and other establishments. Brokers buy and sell stocks, bonds, commodity futures, foreign currencies and other securities at stock exchanges on behalf of investment dealers. They are employed by investment companies, stock brokerage firms, stock and commodity exchanges and other establishments in the securities industry.
agent, securities, bond dealer, broker, commodity broker, discount broker, floor trader – commodity exchange, foreign exchange trader, investment dealer, mutual fund broker, mutual fund sales representative, registered investment representative, securities sales agent, securities trader, stockbroker, supervisor, registered representatives.
- Develop long-term relationships with their clients by preparing investment strategies to help them achieve their financial goals, offering advice and information on various investments to guide them in managing their portfolios
- Review financial periodicals, stock and bond reports, business publications and other material, and develop a network within the financial industry to gather relevant information and identify potential investments for clients
- Carry out investment orders by buying and selling stocks, bonds, treasury bills, mutual funds and other securities for individual investors, pension fund managers or companies such as banks, trust companies and insurance firms
- Monitor clients' investment portfolios and ensure that investment transactions are carried out according to industry regulations.
- Buy and sell stocks, bonds, commodity futures, foreign currencies and other securities at stock exchanges on behalf of investment dealers
- Develop trading strategies by reviewing investment information and monitoring market conditions from the exchange floor and through contact with trading departments of other investment firms, pension fund managers and financial analysts
- Make bids and offers to buy and sell securities and complete details of sales on exchange trade tickets
- Prepare reviews of portfolios' positions.
Outlook & Prospects for Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers in Laurentides Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Québec.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||<Not assigned>||2011-12-21|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-04|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-02|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||<Not assigned>||2013-09-03|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-09-19|
|Côte-Nord Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-30|
|Estrie Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-15|
|Gaspésie -- Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||<Not assigned>||2010-11-29|
|Lanaudière Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-13|
|Laurentides Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-10-26|
|Laval Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-04-19|
|Mauricie Region||<Not assigned>||2010-01-14|
|Montérégie Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-10-24|
|Montréal Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-16|
|Outaouais Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-09|
|Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-23|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- November 2013 | (PDF, 487 KB)
- October 2013 | (PDF, 627 KB)
- September 2013 | (PDF, 235 KB)
- August 2013 | (PDF, 435 KB)
- July 2013 | (PDF, 570 KB)
- June 2013 | (PDF, 437 KB)
- May 2013 | (PDF, 434 KB)
- April 2013 | (PDF, 563 KB)
- March 2013 | (PDF, 225 KB)
- February 2013 | (PDF, 225 KB)
- January 2013 | (PDF, 545 KB)
- Annual Edition 2012 | (PDF, 521 KB, 10 pages)
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 14 - Oct 18, 2013
- The Laurentian Bank is restructuring: 90 employees within the mortgage loan development division will be affected. (available in French only)
- After establishing a call centre in Trois-Rivières, Caisse Desjardins should have over 350 employees at the beginning of 2015 (available in French only)
- A Bank of China branch is opening its doors in Montréal. The bank will start by offering financial services to businesses in the area and will eventually add personal services. (available in French only)
- Sentry Investissement, an independent asset management firm, announced that it is opening a new office in Montréal (available in French only)
- Scotiabank is investing $3.4M to open a new regional centre, scheduled to open in summer 2014, in Drummondville. Twenty jobs will be created. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: