Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Early childhood educators plan and organize activities for preschool and school-age children. Early childhood educator assistants provide care and guidance to preschool children under the supervision of early childhood educators. Early childhood educators and assistants lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth. They are employed in child-care centres, kindergartens, nursery schools, agencies for exceptional children, and other environments where early childhood education services are provided, or they may be self-employed. Early childhood educators who are supervisors are included in this group.
child-care worker assistant, child-care worker, day care, day-care helper, day-care supervisor, day-care worker, early childhood assistant, early childhood education worker, early childhood educator, early childhood educator assistant, early childhood program staff assistant, early childhood supervisor, preschool helper, preschool supervisor, preschool teacher.
- Develop and implement daily activities that support and promote the development of children
- Lead children in activities by telling or reading stories, teaching songs, demonstrating the use of simple musical instruments, preparing craft materials and demonstrating their use, providing opportunities for creative expression through the media of art, dramatic play, music and physical fitness, and taking the children to local points of interest
- Guide and assist children in the development of proper eating, dressing and toilet habits
- Observe children for signs of learning disabilities or emotional problems and take appropriate action
- Assess the skills, abilities, interests and needs of children
- Discuss progress or problems of children with parents and other staff members
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with other community service providers working with children
- Attend meetings and workshops to develop and discuss new teaching methods
- May plan and organize activities for school-age children in child-care programs before and after regular school hours
- May supervise and co-ordinate the activities of other early childhood educators and early childhood educator assistants.
- Conduct and monitor activity programs designed for young children
- Lead children in activities by telling stories, teaching songs and preparing craft materials
- Prepare and serve snacks
- Arrange rooms and furniture for lunch and rest periods
- Assist with proper eating, dressing and toilet habits
- Submit written observations on children to supervisor
- Attend staff meetings to discuss progress and problems of children
- Assist supervisor in keeping records
- Maintain day-care equipment and assist in housekeeping duties.
Outlook & Prospects for Early Childhood Educators and Assistants in Lanaudière Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Provincial Employment Potential Information
The following table identifies employment conditions within Québec.
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-19|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2013-01-11|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-10-11|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2013-01-14|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-01|
|Côte-Nord Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-12-10|
|Estrie Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-01-23|
|Gaspésie -- Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2013-01-16|
|Lanaudière Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-01-21|
|Laurentides Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-02|
|Laval Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-07-09|
|Mauricie Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-01-22|
|Montérégie Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-10-31|
|Montréal Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-11-20|
|Outaouais Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2013-01-31|
|Saguenay--Lac-Saint-Jean Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-11-28|
Additional Provincial Prospects
Visit the Provincial Job Futures for information on the current trends and the future outlook for occupations in this province or territory. This Web site is a joint effort of the federal, provincial and territorial governments. You can view a report specific to this occupation on: Provincial Job Futures - (Employment Prospects section) Web Site.
Labour Market Bulletins
An analysis of the local labour market and an assessment of local employment-related events.
Provincial / Territorial Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Thanks to a $2M investment, Villa Domaine Saint-Grégoire retirement home will be expanded in Bécancour. Work should be completed in April 2014. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an investment of $1.6M, Oasis des Bâtisseurs retirement home will be expanded in Saint-Nazaire, with the addition of 23 dwelling units to the existing 12 (available in French only)
- Built for $1.8M, the fourth installation of the Fardoche day-care centre was just inaugurated in Drummondville. Fifteen employees were hired. (available in French only)
- Sercovie, an NPO that offers services to elderly persons, was inaugurated in Sherbrooke, following an investment of $3.5M. This enabled the non-profit organization¿s building to be expanded and renovated. (available in French only)
- After having invested close to $3M, Saint-Jérôme-based residence, Au Coeur de la Vie Inc., doubled its accommodation capacity which is now 30 rooms. The institution employs approximately 15 persons. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an investment of about $750,000, a new La petite école day-care centre branch is seeing the light of day in Saint-Rosaire. The project enables 10 jobs to be created. (available in French only)
- H¿pital Sainte-Justine in Montr¿al has announced its recruiting campaign in several departments (medical, administrative, as well as psychological and social assistance). Dozens of positions must also be staffed in pediatric critical care. (available in French only)
- The new daycare, La Chenille, will soon be opening its doors in Saint-C¿me. This new facility will create around 10 new jobs (available in French only)
- According to the revised profile of labour force needs, Rouyn-Noranda's Centre de sant¿ et des services sociaux needs 17 additional nurses (available in French only)
- Private medical clinic, Clinique Le Gardeur, has invested in recent months into the expansion of its facilities in Repentigny, which has allowed the company to create new jobs (available in French only)
- The Agence de la sant¿ et des services sociaux de l'Abitibi-T¿miscamingue has an annual budget of $1.4M dedicated to granting incentives and scholarships in the recruitment of doctors (available in French only)
- Date Modified: