Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes health professionals who diagnose and treat the diseases and injuries of patients and who are not elsewhere classified. This includes doctors of podiatric medicine, chiropodists and podiatrists, naturopaths, orthoptists and osteopaths. They work in private practices, clinics and hospitals.
chiropodist, doctor of osteopathy, doctor of podiatric medicine (D.P.M.), foot specialist, naturopath, naturopathic doctor (ND), orthoptist, osteopath, osteopathic physician, podiatrist.
- Doctors of podiatric medicine are primary care practitioners who diagnose diseases, deformities and injuries of the human foot and communicate diagnoses to patients. They treat patients using braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy, or prescribed medications. Doctors of podiatric medicine may also perform surgery on the bones of the forefoot and the subcutaneous soft tissues of the foot.
- Chiropodists and diploma or first-degree trained podiatrists diagnose diseases, deformities and injuries of the human foot and treat patients using braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy and subcutaneous soft-tissue foot surgery.
- Naturopaths diagnose patients' diseases and disorders and employ natural methods of healing such as acupuncture and acupressure, spinal manipulation, reflexology, hydrotherapy, herbal medicines, biochemical therapy, clinical nutrition, homeopathy and counselling in their treatment.
- Orthoptists assist ophthalmologists in the diagnosis and treatment of eye disorders by performing specialized eye tests to measure and assess defective binocular vision or abnormal eye movement in patients and prescribing treatment such as eye exercises or patching regimens.
- Osteopaths or osteopathic physicians diagnose disorders and injuries of the musculo-skeletal, circulatory and nervous systems and treat patients with manipulative therapy, medications or surgery.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Professional Occupations in Health Diagnosing and Treating in Lanaudière Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Lanaudière region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Target store chain is currently in a hiring period for its future establishment in the Joliette region with an opening scheduled for fall 2013 (available in French only)
- Construction of a new child psychiatry pavilion at the Centre hospitalier régional du Nord de Lanaudière in Saint-Charles-Borromée will begin in May. This constitutes a $4.5M investment. Its opening is scheduled for January 2014. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Pavillon Desrosiers-Langlois, located near hospital Pierre Le Gardeur in Terrebonne, will offer services to children, young people and families. It will open its doors next May following a $4.5M investment. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Le Grand Manoir, a seniors home in Saint-Jean-de-Matha, will be investing over $4M starting in March 2014 to expand its facilities by adding another 40 or so units. New positions will be created on top of the 45 existing ones. (available in French only)
- The new IGA Crevier grocery store in Terrebonne opened on April 17. The store required a $10M investment; 50 new jobs will be added to the 70 existing ones. (available in French only)
- The Repentigny arena is being renovated thanks to an investment of over $7M. Benches and new lighting will be installed and the exterior of the building will be redone. A goalkeepers school, restaurants and a gym will be part of the facility. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The Québec government has announced investments of $159M for road infrastructures of the Lanaudière region in the next couple of years, which will be divided among 104 roadworks zones (available in French only)
- Date Modified: