Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and major electrical, mechanical and trade contractors, or they may be self-employed.
chief estimator – construction, construction estimator, cost estimator – construction, principal estimator – construction, professional quantity surveyor, quantity surveyor – construction.
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates
- Manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction progress schedules.
Estimators may specialize in estimating costs for structural, electrical or mechanical construction projects.
Outlook & Prospects for Construction Estimators in Lanaudière Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Lanaudière region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The Québec government has announced investments of $159M for road infrastructures of the Lanaudière region in the next couple of years, which will be divided among 104 roadworks zones (available in French only)
Week of Apr 01 – Apr 05, 2013
- The Corporation du Théâtre du Marais de Val-Morin has announced the upcoming construction of a new establishment that will replace the current theater. This $4.2M project will begin this fall and is scheduled to open in one year. (available in French only)
Week of Mar 18 – Mar 22, 2013
- Habitations Trigone has announced an investment of $30M for the construction of "Le Notre Dame" building project, which will house 150 condos in Repentigny (available in French only)
- Construction of an activities centre intended for people over the age of 55, Cité Géréraction 55+, has recently begun in Terrebonne and requires a $10M investment. Its grand opening is scheduled for October 2013. (available in French only)
Week of Sep 17 – Sep 21, 2012
- The municipality of Repentigny has invested more than $2M in the construction of a new outdoor pool and clubhouse (available in French only)
- Date Modified: