Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Retail trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail basis. Retail trade managers are employed by retail sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.
antique dealer, assistant manager – retail, bookstore manager, car dealership manager, clothing store manager, department store manager, pleasure boat dealer, service station manager, sporting goods store manager, store manager – retail, supermarket manager, travel agency manager, variety store manager.
- Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in retail sales or of departments in such establishments
- Manage staff and assign duties
- Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
- Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
- Locate, select and procure merchandise for resale
- Develop and implement marketing strategies
- Plan budgets and authorize expenditures
- Resolve customer complaints
- Determine staffing requirements and hire or oversee hiring of staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Retail Trade Managers in Lanaudière Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Lanaudière region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Most opportunities will arise from the need to replace retiring workers and, to a lesser degree, job creation. Openings will be filled mainly by experienced internal candidates. The level of employment for this occupation is directly related to retail activity. Over the past three years, employment in retail has been climbing. Given the good outlook for the retail industry, weak employment growth is forecasted for this occupation over the projection period. The number of workers in this occupation is therefore expected to increase slightly during the 2012-2014 period.
Employees in this occupational group work mainly in retail trade.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- A new Jean Coutu pharmacy has opened in Terrebonne. This establishment's construction has required a $1.35M investment and led to the creation of 30 new jobs. (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The Métro Marquis supermarket in Repentigny has announced that construction will begin in June on a new branch in L'Assomption, requiring an investment of $25M. Approximately 100 positions will be created when it opens in 2014. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Target store chain is currently in a hiring period for its future establishment in the Joliette region with an opening scheduled for fall 2013 (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- The new IGA Crevier grocery store in Terrebonne opened on April 17. The store required a $10M investment; 50 new jobs will be added to the 70 existing ones. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: