Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment. Construction millwrights are employed by millwrighting contractors. Industrial mechanics are employed in manufacturing plants, utilities and other industrial establishments.
construction millwright, industrial mechanic, industrial mechanic apprentice, maintenance millwright, millwright, millwright apprentice, plant equipment mechanic, treatment plant maintenance mechanic.
- Read blueprints, diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures
- Install, align, dismantle and move stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment, such as pumps, fans, tanks, conveyors, furnaces and generators according to layout plans using hand and power tools
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices such as cranes, jacks and tractors to position machinery and parts during the installation, set-up and repair of machinery
- Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect and investigate irregularities and malfunctions
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain power transmission, vacuum, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and programmable logic controls
- Adjust machinery and repair or replace defective parts
- Operate machine tools such as lathes and grinders to fabricate parts required during overhaul, maintenance or set-up of machinery
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on machinery
- Construct foundations for machinery or direct other workers to construct foundations
- Assemble machinery and equipment prior to installation using hand and power tools and welding equipment.
Longueuil, Beloeil, Contrecoeur, Granby, Huntingdon, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Otterburn Park, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Acton Vale, Bedford, Cowansville, Farnham, Iberville, L'Île-Perrot, Marieville, Pincourt, Richelieu, Saint-Césaire, Sainte-Julie, Saint-Joseph-de-Sorel, Saint-Luc, Saint-Rémi, Saint-Timothée, Sorel, Tracy, Waterloo, McMasterville, Nitro, Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Val-Boisé
Outlook & Prospects for Construction Millwrights and Industrial Mechanics (Except Textile) in Montérégie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Montérégie Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-24|
For the 2012 - 2014 period, job opportunities in the Monteregie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Bogie manufacturing is starting at Alstom in Sorel-Tracy, resulting in the creation of 20 jobs within a few months (available in French only)
- Following a work conflict that lasted nearly 6 months, Kronos Canada employees in Varennes will be returning to work after reaching an agreement with management (available in French only)
- Two hundred layoffs are expected by the end of November at Rio Tinto Fer et Titan in Sorel-Tracy, with 50 people having already lost their jobs (available in French only)
- H¿roux-Devtek, a supplier of landing gears, has announced forty-some temporary layoffs at its Longueuil plant due to a slowdown in activities (available in French only)
- Exel, a company that specializes in logistics, is currently hiring. Its opening, scheduled for February 2014, will lead to the creation of 160 jobs in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. (available in French only)
- Aircraft engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney will be investing $275M in its Longueuil plant over the next 5 years. This will create 90 jobs (manufacturing technology specialists and operators) and maintain 160 other jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: