Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes those who use manual and artistic skills to design and make ornamental objects, pottery, stained glass, jewellery, rugs, blankets, other handicrafts and artistic floral arrangements. Makers of stringed musical instruments are also included in this unit group. Most craftspersons are self-employed. Artistic floral arrangers are usually employed in florist shops and floral departments of retail establishments or may be self-employed. Craft instructors are also included in this unit group and are employed by artisan guilds, colleges, private studios and recreational organizations.
artisan, artistic floral arranger, carver, craft instructor (except education), craftsperson, glass blower, leather worker, metal arts worker, potter, silversmith, stained glass artist, stringed instrument maker, totem pole carver, weaver – arts and crafts.
- Carvers use hand tools and woodworking machines to produce carvings from wood, stone and other materials and to carve ornamental designs into wooden furniture and other objects.
- Glass blowers design and create glass objects using blowpipes and artisan's hand tools and equipment.
- Metal arts workers design metal jewellery, utensils, implements, wall hangings and other objects and create them from gold, silver, copper, pewter and other metals.
- Potters design ornamental and ceramic functional earthenware pieces and create them using clay, moulds, potter's wheels and other equipment, glazing materials and kilns.
- Stained glass artists design stained glass windows, lampshades and other objects and cut, paint, fire and assemble pieces of stained glass to create such products.
- Stringed instrument makers construct stringed instruments applying their knowledge of wood, ebonite, metal properties and other materials and instrument design using hand and power tools.
- Weavers use hands or loom to interlace strips of flexible material such as wool, cotton, silk, grasses, bark and rawhide to make baskets, wreaths, wall hangings, clothing, rugs, blankets and other objects.
- Craft instructors prepare craftmaking lessons, gather the required working materials and demonstrate and teach craftmaking techniques.
- Artistic floral arrangers design bouquets, corsages, sprays, wreaths and other floral arrangements and select natural and artificial flowers, foliage and decorative accessories to create arrangements or other floral items to suit customers' requirements.
Longueuil, Beloeil, Contrecoeur, Granby, Huntingdon, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Otterburn Park, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Acton Vale, Bedford, Cowansville, Farnham, Iberville, L'Île-Perrot, Marieville, Pincourt, Richelieu, Saint-Césaire, Sainte-Julie, Saint-Joseph-de-Sorel, Saint-Luc, Saint-Rémi, Saint-Timothée, Sorel, Tracy, Waterloo, McMasterville, Nitro, Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Val-Boisé
Outlook & Prospects for Artisans and Craftspersons in Montérégie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012 - 2014 period, job opportunities in the Monteregie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- Boucherville's Pierre-Laporte sports complex will be turned into an aquatics complex. The project is evaluated at $35M. (available in French only)
Week of Oct 08 – Oct 12, 2012
- Ski Saint-Bruno will be holding its 3rd hiring clinic on October 27. Several customer service and monitor positions are available. (available in French only)
Week of May 07 – May 11, 2012
- St. Catherine will have its synthetic field (available in French only)
- Date Modified: