Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Editors review, evaluate and edit manuscripts, articles, news reports and other material for publication, broadcast or interactive media and co-ordinate the activities of writers, journalists and other staff. They are employed by publishing firms, magazines, journals, newspapers, radio and television networks and stations, and by companies and government departments that produce publications such as newsletters, handbooks, manuals and Web sites. Editors may also work on a freelance basis.
advertising editor, associate editor, contributing editor, copy editor, editor, editorial consultant, literary editor, manuscript editor, news editor, news service editor, sports editor, technical editor.
- Evaluate suitability of manuscripts, articles, news copy and wire service dispatches for publication, broadcast or electronic media and recommend or make changes in content, style and organization
- Read and edit copy to be published or broadcast to detect and correct errors in spelling, grammar and syntax, and shorten or lengthen copy as space or time requires
- Confer with authors, staff writers, reporters and others regarding revisions to copy
- Plan and implement layout or format of copy according to space or time allocations and significance of copy
- Plan and co-ordinate activities of staff and assure production deadlines are met
- Plan coverage of upcoming events and assign work accordingly
- Write or prepare introductions, marketing and promotional materials, biographical notes, indexes and other text
- May negotiate royalties with authors and arrange for payment of freelance staff.
Editors may specialize in a particular subject area, such as news, sports or features, or in a particular type of publication, such as books, magazines, newspapers or manuals.
Longueuil, Beloeil, Contrecoeur, Granby, Huntingdon, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Otterburn Park, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Acton Vale, Bedford, Cowansville, Farnham, Iberville, L'Île-Perrot, Marieville, Pincourt, Richelieu, Saint-Césaire, Sainte-Julie, Saint-Joseph-de-Sorel, Saint-Luc, Saint-Rémi, Saint-Timothée, Sorel, Tracy, Waterloo, McMasterville, Nitro, Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Val-Boisé
Outlook & Prospects for Editors in Montérégie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Montérégie Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2012-10-19|
For the 2012 - 2014 period, job opportunities in the Monteregie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jul 15 - Jul 19, 2013
- Sun Media, a subsidiary of Québecor, is slashing 360 jobs and closing down 11 newspapers across the country. L'Action régionale from Saint-Basile-le-Grand and Le magazine de Saint-Lambert in the Montérégie area are among the closures. (available in French only)
- Ericsson will build new facilities estimated at $1.2B in Vaudreuil-Dorion (available in French only)
- Two new television stations have been approved by the CRTC for the Montréal region, one ethnic station, Canal International, and an English station called Metro 14
- Date Modified: