Explore Careers - Job Market Report
General office clerks prepare correspondence, reports, statements and other material, operate office equipment, answer telephones and perform clerical duties of a general nature according to established procedures. They are employed in offices throughout the public and private sectors.
- Key in, edit, proofread and finalize correspondence, reports, statements, invoices, forms, presentations and other documents, from notes or dictaphone, using computers
- Respond to telephone, in person or electronic enquiries or forward to appropriate person
- Provide general information to clients and the public
- Photocopy and collate documents for distribution, mailing and filing
- Maintain and prepare reports from manual or electronic files, inventories, mailing lists and databases
- Process incoming and outgoing mail, manually or electronically
- Send and receive messages and documents using fax machine or electronic mail
- May perform bookkeeping tasks such as preparing invoices and bank deposits
- May sort, process and verify applications, receipts, expenditures, forms and other documents
- May order office supplies, service office equipment and arrange for servicing in the case of major repairs.
Longueuil, Beloeil, Contrecoeur, Granby, Huntingdon, Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Otterburn Park, Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Acton Vale, Bedford, Cowansville, Farnham, Iberville, L'Île-Perrot, Marieville, Pincourt, Richelieu, Saint-Césaire, Sainte-Julie, Saint-Joseph-de-Sorel, Saint-Luc, Saint-Rémi, Saint-Timothée, Sorel, Tracy, Waterloo, McMasterville, Nitro, Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Val-Boisé
Outlook & Prospects for General Office Clerks in Montérégie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012 - 2014 period, job opportunities in the Monteregie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.The volume of employment is high, and labour force needs will be fairly numerous. Job opportunities will arise from the need to replace office clerks who are retiring and who have an older-than-average age profile. The high turnover rate of this occupational group could create additional employment opportunities.
General office clerks are found in a plethora of activity sectors, with more than half employed in public administration, manufacturing, finance and insurance, and professional, scientific and technical services. Over the past few years, the number of general office clerks has very sharply decreased. Office automation and the demand for more versatile office employees explain this sharp decrease to a large extent. This sharp declining trend should continue over the next few years, but at a less spectacular pace.
A high degree of mobility is required to practice this profession. Approximately 40% of those employed in this occupational group work in Montreal.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The opening of an Apple store in the Quartier DIX30 in Brossard leads to the creation of 70 jobs (available in French only)
- Klareco, a recycling plant in Longueuil, has ceased its activities, leading to the layoff of 75 employees (available in French only)
- Target is hiring in May in Longueuil and Brossard to fill close to 100 positions for its three new stores (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Sorel firm CNC Tracy, which manufactures parts for the hydroelectric industry and steel works, has invested $1.4M to increase its productivity and create 4 new jobs (available in French only)
- Volvo St-Hyacinthe will close its doors next June 30th, which will lead to the layoff of nearly a dozen people (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- A new micro-brewery will be opening in Farnham in mid-July (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Next April 25, Boucherville's employment seekers will have an appointment with the food processing industry (available in French only)
- Héroux-Devtek of Saint-Hubert receives $48.9M to develop a new, less polluting landing gear (available in French only)
- Place St-Marc, a construction project housing 54 condos and located in Venise-en-Québec, has just been officially launched. The investment is estimated at $20M. (available in French only)
- Bock Équipements of Saint-Hyacinthe has stopped its activities and laid off its employees (available in French only)
- Date Modified: