Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Hide and pelt processing workers trim, scrape, clean, tan, buff and dye animal hides, pelts or skins to produce leather stock and finished furs. They are employed by leather tanning, fur dressing and leather and fur dyeing establishments.
beating machine tender, leather buffer, leather stretcher, pelt dresser, shaving machine tender, tanner.
- Cut particles of flesh and fat from hides or pelts prior to processing using hand and powered cutting knives and remove loose hair from hides and pelts
- Operate machines to remove flesh or hair from hides, skins or pelts and shave hides to uniform thickness
- Shear fur or wool hides to produce pelts with hair of specified or uniform length
- Prepare solutions according to pre-established formulas in vats or revolving drums and immerse hides and skins to clean, dehair, pickle, dye, oil or tan
- Adjust rotation and mixing action of vats according to state of pelts
- Immerse pelts to clean, soften and preserve
- Operate machines to polish or roughen hides or skins to specified finish
- Tint or dye furs to enhance natural shades of fur
- May maintain and repair vats and other machinery.
Outlook & Prospects for Hide and Pelt Processing Workers in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Estrie Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-21|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Estrie region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 10 – Jun 14, 2013
- The Audi car dealership in Sherbrooke is investing $5M to build a new building. This investment will create six new jobs. (available in French only)
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Target will invest $10M to set up shop in Sherbrooke's Carrefour de l'Estrie in a space previously occupied by Zellers
- The Seigneurie Le Victorin of Victoriaville, a retirement home, is proceeding with a new expansion estimated at $3.6M (available in French only)
- The nursing staff of CHUS will have access to a new tool to perfect their training in traumatology in an emergency room. The software is estimated to close to $1M.
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- FEC Technologies, which specializes in the management of hazardous goods, has invested $1M to relocate to Magog. Nearly a dozen jobs were created, bringing the total number of jobs to approximately twenty. (available in French only)
- A new shelter for the CSSS of Haut-Saint-François will be built at a cost of $28M in East Angus (available in French only)
- A brand new McDonald's will be built for more than $1M in Sherbrooke's Rock Forest borough. A hundred-some jobs will be created. (available in French only)
- After a $1.2M investment, the company Brio opens its first intelligent car wash in Magog (available in French only)
- Following the explosion of the Neptune Technologies & Bioressources plant in Sherbrooke, which specializes in krill oil processing, the company has invested $30M to rebuild itself and expand (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- The IGA Extra supermarket is relocating and expanding in Magog with an investment of $16M. Some 40 additional jobs will be added to the 140 that already exist. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: