Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Designers in this unit group conceptualize and produce designs for film, television, theatre and video productions, garments and textiles, displays and exhibits, and for other creative items such as jewellery and trophies. Theatre designers are employed by performing arts and broadcasting companies and by festivals; fashion designers are employed by clothing and textiles companies or may be self-employed; and exhibit designers are employed by museums and retail establishments. Other creative designers in this unit group are employed by manufacturing establishments or may be self-employed.
clothing designer, costume designer, couturier – haute couture, display designer, fabric designer, fashion designer, fur designer, jewellery designer, lighting designer, museum exhibit designer, shoe designer, trophy designer, window display designer.
- Theatre designers design and create settings, scenic environments, properties, costumes and lighting for theatre, film and video productions, operas and ballets.
- Fashion designers design and create clothing and accessories for men, women and children.
- Exhibit designers plan and develop permanent and temporary or moveable exhibits and displays for museum exhibitions, trade shows, conventions, retail spaces and other exhibitions.
Theatre designers may specialize in costume, lighting or set design; fashion designers may specialize in men's, women's or children's apparel or in different lines such as sportswear, footwear or formal wear.
Outlook & Prospects for Theatre, Fashion, Exhibit and Other Creative Designers in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Estrie Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-16|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Estrie region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- With a $121.7M investment, the Centre femme-jeunesse-famille, a new wing of the Centre hospitalier de l'Université de Sherbrooke, will be built in Sherbrooke in 2015 and open in 2017 (available in French only)
- Ecotierra, a company that specializes in projects that offer carbone credits, has invested $800,000 to set up shop in Sherbrooke. Five jobs were created. (available in French only)
- Supermarket IGA of the Brompton borough in Sherbrooke has just invested $6M to expand. Thus, 25 new jobs were added to the 50 existing ones. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Sawmill Bois Champigny of Potton has gone bankrupt since April 19. Thirty-some jobs were lost. (available in French only)
- A new filtering plant that powers the North Hatley region in potable water will be built for $11.2M (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- DBO Expert, a distributor of wastewater treatment technologies, has invested $690,000 to renovate its facilities in Sherbrooke. In addition to the 10 jobs being consolidated, three new positions have been created and three more are expected. (available in French only)
- Quinco & Cie in Magog, which specializes in the design of self-adhesive wall tiles, is investing $866,450 to purchase new equipment. In addition to the 20 or so jobs being consolidated, 10 new positions are expected in the short term. (available in French only)
- A number of businesses in various industries in the Stanstead area are seeking to fill 15 positions (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The 12 employees of Bock Équipements in Sherbrooke find themselves unemployed (available in French only)
- In the context of an investment plan of close to $100M in Québec, Loblaws will renovate its food business in Magog and lead to the creation of a few jobs (available in French only)
- $950,000 expansion work on the Centre d'action bénévole de Coaticook is almost complete (available in French only)
- Date Modified: