Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Pilots fly fixed wing aircraft and helicopters to provide air transportation and other services. Flight engineers (second officers) monitor the functioning of aircraft during flight and may assist in flying aircraft. Flying instructors teach flying techniques and procedures to student and licensed pilots. Air pilots, flight engineers and flight instructors are employed by airline and air freight companies, flying schools, the armed forces and by other public and private sector aircraft operators.
air pilot, captain – air transport, check pilot, chief flying instructor, chief pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer, flying instructor, helicopter pilot, military pilot, pilot instructor, second officer – air transport, test pilot.
- Fly fixed wing aircraft or helicopters to transport passengers and freight
- Provide services such as search and rescue, aerial surveying or spraying and crop dusting
- Direct activities of aircraft crew during flight, as captain of aircraft
- Co-pilot aircraft and perform captain's duties if required, as first officer
- Test new aircraft to evaluate aircraft performance
- Train pilots to use new equipment, or prepare them for examination to re-validate or upgrade existing licences.
- Monitor operation of engines, fuel consumption and functioning of aircraft systems during flight
- Assist captain and first officer in operation of aircraft as second officer.
- Instruct student pilots in procedures and techniques of flying aircraft and in ground-school subjects such as navigation, radio procedures and flying regulations
- Train licensed pilots for additional certification.
Outlook & Prospects for Air Pilots, Flight Engineers and Flying Instructors in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Estrie Region||<Not assigned>||2012-11-15|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Estrie region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Nov 05 – Nov 09, 2012
- The closing of the Jeffrey mine in Asbestos ends more than 70 years of business activity. Transport Eastern will close its doors on November 30, leading to 25 more jobs being lost in the municipality.
- Date Modified: