Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes those who survey and assess landscapes; draw sketches and build models of landscape designs; construct and maintain gardens, parks, golf courses and other landscaped environments; advise clients on issues related to horticulture; breed, cultivate and study plants; and treat injured and diseased trees and plants. They are employed by landscape designers and contractors, lawn service and tree care establishments, golf courses, nurseries and greenhouses, and municipal, provincial and national parks, or they may be self-employed.
arborist, golf course superintendent, greenskeeper, horticultural technician, horticulture specialist, horticulturist, hydroponics technician, landscape architectural technician, landscape designer, landscape gardener, landscape technician, landscaper, lawn care specialist, tree service technician.
- Arborists and tree service technicians examine trees and shrubs to diagnose problems and disease, and apply various treatments such as pruning, spraying, repairing damaged areas and injecting with treatment solutions.
- Golf course superintendents direct crews who maintain the health and appearance of golf courses and their surrounding landscapes, plant and move trees, and apply fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides and pesticides.
- Horticulturists plan and co-ordinate the growth and use of plants for landscaping, ornamental uses and other purposes.
- Landscape designers and landscape architectural technicians and technologists survey and assess sites, prepare drawings, sketches and reports and perform other duties to assist landscape architects in designing landscaped environments.
- Landscape gardeners plant and maintain private and public lawns and gardens.
- Landscapers plan and construct landscaped environments which may include trees, shrubberies, lawns, fences, decks, patios and other landscape structures.
- Lawn care specialists visit clients, assess the health of lawns, and apply fertilizer, pesticides and other lawn care products.
Outlook & Prospects for Landscape and Horticulture Technicians and Specialists in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Estrie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- FEC Technologies, which specializes in the management of hazardous goods, has invested $1M to relocate to Magog. Nearly a dozen jobs were created, bringing the total number of jobs to approximately twenty. (available in French only)
Week of Nov 26 – Nov 30, 2012
- Valoris, located in Bury, will invest $25M into an new sorting centre for residual material and will create approximately 30 jobs (available in French only)
Week of Sep 24 – Sep 28, 2012
- SaniEstrie has invested nearly $2M in the construction of a new transhipment centre in Sherbrooke. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: