Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists provide assistance and advice to farmers on all aspects of farm management, cultivation, fertilization, harvesting, soil erosion and composition, disease prevention, nutrition, crop rotation and marketing. They are employed by businesses, institutions and governments that assist the farming community or they may be self-employed.
agricultural consultant, agricultural extension supervisor, agricultural livestock specialist, agricultural representative, agricultural soil and crop specialist, agriculturist, agrologist, agronomist, consulting agrologist, crop specialist, farm management consultant, field service agent, grower's advisor, professional agrologist (P.Ag.).
- Provide counselling and advisory services to farmers on crop cultivation and fertilization, harvesting, animal and poultry care, disease prevention, farm management, farm financing, marketing and other agricultural subjects
- Prepare and conduct advisory information sessions and lectures for farmers and other groups
- Conduct research, analyze agricultural data and prepare research reports
- Liaise with researchers, educators and government or business managers on matters pertaining to farming and agriculture
- Maintain records of services provided and the effects of advice given.
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists may specialize in specific aspects of agriculture such as animal science, field crops, horticulture, soil science, irrigation or drainage, farm management, marketing, agricultural economics, land use, and environmental management, appraisal or extension and education.
Outlook & Prospects for Agricultural Representatives, Consultants and Specialists in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Estrie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- With a $121.7M investment, the Centre femme-jeunesse-famille, a new wing of the Centre hospitalier de l'Université de Sherbrooke, will be built in Sherbrooke in 2015 and open in 2017 (available in French only)
- Ecotierra, a company that specializes in projects that offer carbone credits, has invested $800,000 to set up shop in Sherbrooke. Five jobs were created. (available in French only)
- Supermarket IGA of the Brompton borough in Sherbrooke has just invested $6M to expand. Thus, 25 new jobs were added to the 50 existing ones. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- Sawmill Bois Champigny of Potton has gone bankrupt since April 19. Thirty-some jobs were lost. (available in French only)
- A new filtering plant that powers the North Hatley region in potable water will be built for $11.2M (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- DBO Expert, a distributor of wastewater treatment technologies, has invested $690,000 to renovate its facilities in Sherbrooke. In addition to the 10 jobs being consolidated, three new positions have been created and three more are expected. (available in French only)
- Quinco & Cie in Magog, which specializes in the design of self-adhesive wall tiles, is investing $866,450 to purchase new equipment. In addition to the 20 or so jobs being consolidated, 10 new positions are expected in the short term. (available in French only)
- A number of businesses in various industries in the Stanstead area are seeking to fill 15 positions (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- The 12 employees of Bock Équipements in Sherbrooke find themselves unemployed (available in French only)
- In the context of an investment plan of close to $100M in Québec, Loblaws will renovate its food business in Magog and lead to the creation of a few jobs (available in French only)
- $950,000 expansion work on the Centre d'action bénévole de Coaticook is almost complete (available in French only)
- Date Modified: