Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Legal secretaries perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in law offices, legal departments of large firms, real estate companies, land title offices, municipal, provincial and federal courts and government.
- Prepare and key in correspondence and legal documents, such as deeds, wills, affidavits and briefs, from handwritten copy, shorthand and machine dictation using computers
- Review and proofread documents and correspondence to ensure compliance with legal procedures and grammatical usage
- Schedule appointments, meetings and conferences for employer
- Set up and maintain filing systems, utilizing knowledge of legal records and procedures and frequently controlling confidential materials and documents
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments or organizations
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in the use of current software
- May attend court, meetings or conferences to take notes, minutes and dictation
- May perform other general office work as required including preparing financial statements.
Outlook & Prospects for Legal Secretaries in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Estrie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Les Aciers Orford in Sherbrooke, which specializes in the manufacturing and installation of steel, reinforcement and welded wire, will invest $4M to expand. Thirty-some jobs will need to be filled by this summer.
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Ecotierra, a company that specializes in projects that offer carbone credits, has invested $800,000 to set up shop in Sherbrooke. Five jobs were created. (available in French only)
Week of Nov 19 – Nov 23, 2012
- Borealis in Magog, specializing in information technology relating to the management and integration of geographical information, invests $2.5M to expand its head office. The majority of the 160 employees around the world work in Magog. The company plans to double its workforce in the future.
Week of Sep 10 – Sep 14, 2012
- Arbault of Sherbrooke, a company specializing in IT project management, is looking for two process improvement engineers.
- Date Modified: