Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Secretaries perform a variety of administrative duties in support of managerial and professional employers. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors.
executive secretary (except legal and medical), private secretary, secretary (except legal and medical), technical secretary.
- Prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from shorthand, machine dictation and handwritten copy using computers
- Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations
- Schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer
- Order office supplies and maintain inventory
- Answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages
- Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
- Determine and establish office procedures
- Greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person
- Record and prepare minutes of meetings
- Arrange travel schedules and make reservations
- May compile data, statistics and other information and may conduct research
- May organize conferences
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in use of current software.
Outlook & Prospects for Secretaries (Except Legal and Medical) in Estrie Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Estrie region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
There are more than 2,100 jobs in this occupational group in the Estrie region which are found mostly in the service sector (79%) and, to a lesser extent, in the manufacturing (10%) and the construction (8%) industries.
In the Estrie region, employment in this group is expected to decrease by 2014. Openings will arise mainly from the need to replace people who retire. The Estrie region employs more workers 45 years of age and over (55%) in this occupational group than in all occupations combined in the region (41%). There is weak representation of men in this occupational group, as they hold slightly more than 2% of the jobs.
The installation of computer technology in companies has by and large led to changes in tasks and to fewer jobs in this occupation. The duties and responsibilities of secretaries have become increasingly diverse and complex. The position of secretary is often enhanced and given the title of administrative assistant, executive assistant or executive secretary. Candidates must have a high proficiency in French, in grammar and in most commonly used software applications, and must be highly organized. Bilingualism is often required.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- Thanks to a $17.3M investment, two new elementary schools will be built for the 2015 back-to-school semester in Sherbrooke, in the boroughs of Rock Forest and Saint-Élie-d'Orford (available in French only)
- Inauguration of the new aquatic complex of l'Université de Sherbrooke built at a cost of $16.5M (available in French only)
- Saguenay company Cegerco has obtained an $111M in contracts for the construction of a Romaine-1 hydroelectric power plant on the Côte-Nord and for rebuilding the cafeteria of the LG-2 complex in James Bay. The company plans to hire 250 people. (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- A new filtering plant that powers the North Hatley region in potable water will be built for $11.2M (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- $950,000 expansion work on the Centre d'action bénévole de Coaticook is almost complete (available in French only)
Week of Mar 04 – Mar 08, 2013
- A $1.5M investment will be made in Asbestos to build an 18-unit, high-end residential building for people 55 years of age or more. The Villa des Sources will be move-in ready by July 2014.
- Date Modified: