Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Sewing machine operators operate sewing machines to sew fabric, fur, leather or synthetic materials to produce or repair garments and other articles. They are employed in clothing, footwear, textile products, fur products and other manufacturing establishments and by furriers.
fur sewing machine operator, leather products sewing machine operator, lining stitcher, sample maker, sample sewer, serging machine operator, sewing machine operator, shoe sewer.
- Assemble pieces of garments by matching patterns and dye lots
- Operate single, double or multi-needle serging, flat bed felling, banding and other sewing machines, to join sections of garments or other articles into finished products on a piece-work or production basis
- Operate fur sewing machines to join fur pelt strips to required size and shape and join pelts into garment sections or shells
- Operate stitching machines to sew leather parts together for leather garments, handbags, shoes and other leather articles
- Operate serging machines to sew and overcast edges of material simultaneously
- Operate tackers, pocketsetters, buttonhole makers and fusing, hemmer and other machines to perform various operations in the fabrication of garments and other articles
- Examine garments and operate sewing machines, sergers and other machines to repair garments and other articles during the manufacturing process
- Complete production reports
- May perform minor maintenance and repairs on sewing machine.
Outlook & Prospects for Sewing Machine Operators in Chaudière-Appalaches Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Chaudiere-Appalaches region are expected to be limited for this occupation. The majority of opportunities will come from the replacement of the aging workforce.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- The Boulangerie Saint-Méthode in Adstock is looking for twenty-some bakery operators and daytime labourers (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- This coming May, the Davie shipyard plans to hire forty-some workers per week to reach a total of 540 employees in July
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Métal Duquet, located in Saint-Côme-Linière (in the Beauce region), has just expanded its plant. The investment will enable the company to stabilize its production. Eight to 10 jobs will be created by the end of next year. (available in French only)
- PhasOptx Telecom will be opening a new branch in Disraeli (in the Appalaches regional county municipality) in 2014. The project will generate $10 M in spending and should create 120 jobs over the next three years. Hiring is expected to start in the fall. (available in French only)
Week of Mar 11 – Mar 15, 2013
- Eocycle, a Lévis company, just launched a $20M project to develop a new 3.2 MW (megawatt) engine generator with direct drive. The project will allow the creation of nearly a dozen jobs. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: