Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Gas fitters install, inspect, repair and maintain gas lines and gas equipment such as meters, regulators, heating units and appliances in residential, commercial and industrial establishments. They are employed by gas utility companies and gas servicing companies.
- Study drawings and specifications to determine the layout of the installation and materials required
- Measure and mark reference points for installation of gas lines and equipment
- Install and maintain gas meters and regulators and gas lines between gas unit and gas meter
- Install, maintain and service gas heating units and their components, such as burners, valves and automatic controls
- Repair and service gas appliances and related equipment
- Test and replace defective equipment or components
- Test and adjust control mechanisms and check pipes and piping connections for gas leaks using gas detecting devices
- Attend to gas escape calls and assist in the investigation of gas fires and explosions
- Prepare reports on work performed and condition of facilities
- Advise clients regarding standards, safety features and maintenance of gas units and system
- Convert motor vehicles or appliances to use natural gas fuels.
Outlook & Prospects for Gas Fitters in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-15|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Alimentation Coop has invested $10M in its four Rimouski businesses (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- In Mont-Joli, Armoires Canboard had to use the services of a placement agency to meets its labour needs. The company is still looking for nearly a dozen daytime labourers. (available in French only)
- More than 350 workers will work this season at the Pépinière de Saint-Modeste (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Méridien Maritime in Matane will be building bridges, employing at least 30 additional workers (available in French only)
Week of Apr 08 – Apr 12, 2013
- Excavation work for a dry dock for boats in Gros Cacouna, a Méridien Maritime project that should provide employment to a hundred-some people, will begin in the fall (available in French only)
- Date Modified: