Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Gas fitters install, inspect, repair and maintain gas lines and gas equipment such as meters, regulators, heating units and appliances in residential, commercial and industrial establishments. They are employed by gas utility companies and gas servicing companies.
- Study drawings and specifications to determine the layout of the installation and materials required
- Measure and mark reference points for installation of gas lines and equipment
- Install and maintain gas meters and regulators and gas lines between gas unit and gas meter
- Install, maintain and service gas heating units and their components, such as burners, valves and automatic controls
- Repair and service gas appliances and related equipment
- Test and replace defective equipment or components
- Test and adjust control mechanisms and check pipes and piping connections for gas leaks using gas detecting devices
- Attend to gas escape calls and assist in the investigation of gas fires and explosions
- Prepare reports on work performed and condition of facilities
- Advise clients regarding standards, safety features and maintenance of gas units and system
- Convert motor vehicles or appliances to use natural gas fuels.
Outlook & Prospects for Gas Fitters in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-15|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- In Matane, Innoventé will be building a plant that will be used to produce green energy for $20M, which should create approximately 100 jobs during construction and approximately 40 thereafter (available in French only)
- Saint-Pacôme¿s Station Plein Air plans to hire close to 15 additional employees (available in French only)
- The window and door company Lepage Millwork, based in Rivière-du-Loup, will have to hire approximately 40 persons (available in French only)
- On November 18, the Minist¿re de l'¿ducation, du Loisir et du Sport announced investments of nearly $12M into school facilities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region (available in French only)
- Target opened its doors in Rimouski on November 13, providing 150 people with a job there (available in French only)
- Canadian Tire opened its new store in Matane on November 14, which should provide work for nearly 70 people as needed (available in French only)
- On November 4th, Groupe Lebel has announced a project estimated at nearly $865,000, which will serve to implement a production unit of exterior wood siding in the municipality of Lac-des-Aigles, which will lead to the creation of nearly a dozen jobs (available in French only)
- Fonderie Bradken of Mont-Joli is experiencing problems recruiting a skilled labour force (available in French only)
- A Tim Hortons location and two other restaurants will open in Rivi¿re-du-Loup in December, which will create fifty-some jobs (available in French only)
- One hundred and fifty employees will get their walking papers for at least 6 months following layoffs at the Bombardier plant in La Pocati¿re; the first layoffs, which will be staggered through to March, will take place on January 16. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: