Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Funeral directors co-ordinate and arrange all aspects of funeral services. Embalmers prepare the remains of deceased persons for public visitation and burial. Funeral directors and embalmers are employed by funeral homes.
- Consult with the family of the deceased regarding the nature of the funeral service, the disposition of the remains and funeral costs
- Transfer, or arrange for the transfer of, the remains from the place of death to the funeral home
- Inform survivors of benefits for which they may be eligible
- Issue death notices to newspapers
- Oversee the preparation of the remains, plan and schedule funeral services, co-ordinate burials and cremations and complete legal documents
- Discuss and negotiate prearranged funerals with clients
- Manage funeral home operations including hiring and directing staff, maintaining financial records, preparing accounts and ordering merchandise
- Supervise embalmers, funeral home attendants and other funeral home staff
- May perform same duties as embalmers.
- Preserve, sanitize and prepare human remains for funeral services
- Perform cosmetic and restorative work on human remains
- Supervise funeral home attendants and other funeral home staff.
Outlook & Prospects for Funeral Directors and Embalmers in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- In Sainte-Anne-des-Monts, the new Centre de formation professionnelle de la Haute-Gaspésie will hire 9 new teachers for its opening in September (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Alimentation Coop has invested $10M in its four Rimouski businesses (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- In Mont-Joli, Armoires Canboard had to use the services of a placement agency to meets its labour needs. The company is still looking for nearly a dozen daytime labourers. (available in French only)
- More than 350 workers will work this season at the Pépinière de Saint-Modeste (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Méridien Maritime in Matane will be building bridges, employing at least 30 additional workers (available in French only)
- Date Modified: