Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes workers, not elsewhere classified, who perform various technical therapy and assessment functions. Some may assist professionals such as audiologists, speech-language pathologists, ophthalmologists and physiotherapists. They are employed in hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, educational institutions and in the private practices of the professionals they assist. Massage therapists may also be self-employed.
audio prosthetist, audiology technician, audiometric assistant, audiometric technician, hearing aid consultant, massage therapist (MT), ophthalmic assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic technologist, physical rehabilitation technician, physiotherapy technician, speech technician, speech therapist aide, speech therapy aide.
- Audio prosthetists examine clients to determine appropriate type of hearing aid; may test patient's hearing; take ear impressions for use in the manufacture of the devices; fit and adjust hearing aids; and perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
- Audiometric assistants administer, under the supervision of audiologists, tests such as speech reception and speech discrimination to determine the hearing thresholds of patients; and record these test results.
- Communication assistants carry out remedial programs, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists, to rehabilitate patients with communicative disorders.
- Massage therapists assess clients by conducting range of motion and muscle testing and propose treatment plans; treat soft tissues and joints of the body through soft tissue manipulation, hydrotherapy, remedial exercise programs and client self-help programs; provide courses of treatment for medical conditions and injuries or wellness maintenance; maintain records of treatments given; and may work with other health care professionals when appropriate.
- Ophthalmic medical assistants operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists to assess patients' vision; record test results; assist ophthalmologists in office surgery; and administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists.
- Physical rehabilitation technicians carry out, under physiotherapists' direction, treatment programs such as massage, thermotherapy, traction and hydrotherapy to rehabilitate injured or disabled individuals.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical Occupations in Therapy and Assessment in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region are expected to be fair for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of May 06 – May 10, 2013
- In Sainte-Anne-des-Monts, the new Centre de formation professionnelle de la Haute-Gaspésie will hire 9 new teachers for its opening in September (available in French only)
Week of Apr 29 – May 03, 2013
- Alimentation Coop has invested $10M in its four Rimouski businesses (available in French only)
Week of Apr 22 – Apr 26, 2013
- In Mont-Joli, Armoires Canboard had to use the services of a placement agency to meets its labour needs. The company is still looking for nearly a dozen daytime labourers. (available in French only)
- More than 350 workers will work this season at the Pépinière de Saint-Modeste (available in French only)
Week of Apr 15 – Apr 19, 2013
- Méridien Maritime in Matane will be building bridges, employing at least 30 additional workers (available in French only)
- Date Modified: