Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes health professionals who diagnose and treat the diseases and injuries of patients and who are not elsewhere classified. This includes doctors of podiatric medicine, chiropodists and podiatrists, naturopaths, orthoptists and osteopaths. They work in private practices, clinics and hospitals.
chiropodist, doctor of osteopathy, doctor of podiatric medicine (D.P.M.), foot specialist, naturopath, naturopathic doctor (ND), orthoptist, osteopath, osteopathic physician, podiatrist.
- Doctors of podiatric medicine are primary care practitioners who diagnose diseases, deformities and injuries of the human foot and communicate diagnoses to patients. They treat patients using braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy, or prescribed medications. Doctors of podiatric medicine may also perform surgery on the bones of the forefoot and the subcutaneous soft tissues of the foot.
- Chiropodists and diploma or first-degree trained podiatrists diagnose diseases, deformities and injuries of the human foot and treat patients using braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy and subcutaneous soft-tissue foot surgery.
- Naturopaths diagnose patients' diseases and disorders and employ natural methods of healing such as acupuncture and acupressure, spinal manipulation, reflexology, hydrotherapy, herbal medicines, biochemical therapy, clinical nutrition, homeopathy and counselling in their treatment.
- Orthoptists assist ophthalmologists in the diagnosis and treatment of eye disorders by performing specialized eye tests to measure and assess defective binocular vision or abnormal eye movement in patients and prescribing treatment such as eye exercises or patching regimens.
- Osteopaths or osteopathic physicians diagnose disorders and injuries of the musculo-skeletal, circulatory and nervous systems and treat patients with manipulative therapy, medications or surgery.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Professional Occupations in Health Diagnosing and Treating in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2012-10-17|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Dec 09 - Dec 13, 2013
- Bégin & Bégin is opening a new wood processing plant in Saint-Juste-du-Lac, creating 5 jobs, with a possibility of expansion in future (available in French only)
- In Matane, Innoventé will be building a plant that will be used to produce green energy for $20M, which should create approximately 100 jobs during construction and approximately 40 thereafter (available in French only)
- Saint-Pacôme¿s Station Plein Air plans to hire close to 15 additional employees (available in French only)
- The window and door company Lepage Millwork, based in Rivière-du-Loup, will have to hire approximately 40 persons (available in French only)
- On November 18, the Minist¿re de l'¿ducation, du Loisir et du Sport announced investments of nearly $12M into school facilities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region (available in French only)
- Target opened its doors in Rimouski on November 13, providing 150 people with a job there (available in French only)
- Canadian Tire opened its new store in Matane on November 14, which should provide work for nearly 70 people as needed (available in French only)
- Date Modified: