Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes health professionals who diagnose and treat the diseases and injuries of patients and who are not elsewhere classified. This includes doctors of podiatric medicine, chiropodists and podiatrists, naturopaths, orthoptists and osteopaths. They work in private practices, clinics and hospitals.
chiropodist, doctor of osteopathy, doctor of podiatric medicine (D.P.M.), foot specialist, naturopath, naturopathic doctor (ND), orthoptist, osteopath, osteopathic physician, podiatrist.
- Doctors of podiatric medicine are primary care practitioners who diagnose diseases, deformities and injuries of the human foot and communicate diagnoses to patients. They treat patients using braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy, or prescribed medications. Doctors of podiatric medicine may also perform surgery on the bones of the forefoot and the subcutaneous soft tissues of the foot.
- Chiropodists and diploma or first-degree trained podiatrists diagnose diseases, deformities and injuries of the human foot and treat patients using braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy and subcutaneous soft-tissue foot surgery.
- Naturopaths diagnose patients' diseases and disorders and employ natural methods of healing such as acupuncture and acupressure, spinal manipulation, reflexology, hydrotherapy, herbal medicines, biochemical therapy, clinical nutrition, homeopathy and counselling in their treatment.
- Orthoptists assist ophthalmologists in the diagnosis and treatment of eye disorders by performing specialized eye tests to measure and assess defective binocular vision or abnormal eye movement in patients and prescribing treatment such as eye exercises or patching regimens.
- Osteopaths or osteopathic physicians diagnose disorders and injuries of the musculo-skeletal, circulatory and nervous systems and treat patients with manipulative therapy, medications or surgery.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Professional Occupations in Health Diagnosing and Treating in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region are expected to be good for this occupation.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Jun 03 – Jun 07, 2013
- Following $5M construction work, Lepage Millwork is expected to create 50 medium-term jobs in Rivière-du-Loup (available in French only)
Week of May 27 – May 31, 2013
- Target is looking for at least 150 employees for its new store in Rimouski. Renovation work at the future store, at a cost estimated between $10M and $12M, is ongoing at Carrefour Rimouski. (available in French only)
- The Yuzu Sushi franchise will open its doors in July in Rivière-du-Loup and up to 10 jobs will be created (available in French only)
Week of May 20 – May 24, 2013
- It will take four years and $12M to renovate the residences at the Cégep de Rimouski (available in French only)
Week of May 13 – May 17, 2013
- As part of the 2013 federal Summer Work/Student Exchange program, 164 jobs will be offered in the Rimouski-Neigette-Témiscouata-Les Basques riding (available in French only)
- Following cutbacks at the Rimouski-Neigette health and social services centre, 30 positions will be cut and 12 vacant positions will not be filled (available in French only)
- Date Modified: