Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Construction estimators analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, architectural, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and major electrical, mechanical and trade contractors, or they may be self-employed.
chief estimator – construction, construction estimator, cost estimator – construction, principal estimator – construction, professional quantity surveyor, quantity surveyor – construction.
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates
- Manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction progress schedules.
Estimators may specialize in estimating costs for structural, electrical or mechanical construction projects.
Outlook & Prospects for Construction Estimators in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-11|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market News
Week of Feb 18 – Feb 22, 2013
- The Office municipal d'habitation de Rimouski (Rimouski municipal housing bureau) will invest $7M in renovating 80 affordable housing units over the next three years (available in French only)
Week of Jan 28 – Feb 01, 2013
- The Centre hospitalier du Grand-Portage, located in Rivière-du-Loup, is to undergo seismic reinforcement at a cost of $11M (available in French only)
Week of Dec 17 – Dec 21, 2012
- The Société des traversiers du Québec (STQ) has invested $11M in the Port of Matane, to adapt it to the new ferry (available in French only)
- Projexco, a company out of Sainte-Luce that manufactures and repairs bridges, wharves and boardwalks, has invested $2.6M thanks to the financial support of the Government of Quebec, to increase its production capacity (available in French only)
Week of Oct 08 – Oct 12, 2012
- JPH International launches phase two of the $10M Résidence des Bâtisseurs project in downtown Matane (available in French only)
- Date Modified: