Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Chemists conduct research and analysis in support of industrial operations, product and process development, quality control, environmental control, medical diagnosis and treatment, biotechnology and other applications. They also conduct theoretical, experimental and applied research into basic chemical and biochemical processes to create or synthesize new products and processes. Chemists are employed in research, development and quality control laboratories; chemical, petrochemical and pharmaceutical industries; mineral, metal and pulp and paper industries; and a wide variety of manufacturing, utility, health, educational and government establishments.
agricultural chemist, analytical chemist, bioanalytical chemist, biochemist, chemist, clinical chemist, coatings chemist, electrochemist, environmental chemist, food chemist, inorganic chemist, medical biochemist – medicine, medicinal chemist, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopist, oceanographic chemist, organic chemist, organic mass spectrometrist, organometallic chemist, pharmacological chemist, physical chemist, polymer chemist, quality control chemist, research chemist, soil chemist, textile chemist, theoretical chemist.
- Analyze, synthesize, purify, modify and characterize chemical or biochemical compounds
- Develop and conduct programs of analysis to ensure quality control of raw materials, chemical intermediates or final products
- Conduct programs of sample and data collection and analysis to identify and quantify environmental toxicants
- Conduct research to develop new chemical formulations and processes and devise new technical applications of industrial chemicals and compounds
- Conduct research to discover, develop and refine, and evaluate new products
- Conduct fundamental and applied research into the synthesis and properties of chemical compounds and the mechanisms of chemical reactions
- Investigate chemical aspects of the mechanisms of drug action, the diagnosis and treatment of disease, organ function and the assessment of health
- Participate in interdisciplinary research and development projects working with chemical engineers, biologists, microbiologists, agronomists, geologists or other professionals
- Act as technical consultant in a particular field of expertise
- May participate in the commercialization of new products
- May supervise other chemists and chemical technicians and technologists.
Outlook & Prospects for Chemists in Bas-Saint-Laurent Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||<Not assigned>||2010-03-11|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- In Matane, Innoventé will be building a plant that will be used to produce green energy for $20M, which should create approximately 100 jobs during construction and approximately 40 thereafter (available in French only)
- Saint-Pacôme¿s Station Plein Air plans to hire close to 15 additional employees (available in French only)
- The window and door company Lepage Millwork, based in Rivière-du-Loup, will have to hire approximately 40 persons (available in French only)
- On November 18, the Minist¿re de l'¿ducation, du Loisir et du Sport announced investments of nearly $12M into school facilities in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region (available in French only)
- Target opened its doors in Rimouski on November 13, providing 150 people with a job there (available in French only)
- Canadian Tire opened its new store in Matane on November 14, which should provide work for nearly 70 people as needed (available in French only)
- On November 4th, Groupe Lebel has announced a project estimated at nearly $865,000, which will serve to implement a production unit of exterior wood siding in the municipality of Lac-des-Aigles, which will lead to the creation of nearly a dozen jobs (available in French only)
- Fonderie Bradken of Mont-Joli is experiencing problems recruiting a skilled labour force (available in French only)
- A Tim Hortons location and two other restaurants will open in Rivi¿re-du-Loup in December, which will create fifty-some jobs (available in French only)
- One hundred and fifty employees will get their walking papers for at least 6 months following layoffs at the Bombardier plant in La Pocati¿re; the first layoffs, which will be staggered through to March, will take place on January 16. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: