Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Railway carmen/women inspect, troubleshoot, maintain and repair structural and mechanical components of railway freight, passenger and urban transit rail cars. They are employed by railway transport companies and urban transit systems.
rail vehicle mechanic, railway car inspector, railway carman/woman, railway carman/woman apprentice, streetcar and subway car mechanic.
- Inspect interior and exterior components of freight, passenger and urban transit rail cars to determine defects and extent of wear and damage
- Repair and install railway car parts such as compressors, air valves, bearings, couplings, air cylinders and piping
- Repair and maintain electrical and electronic controls for propulsion and braking systems
- Repair defective or damaged metal and wood components, using hand and power tools
- Repair and repaint wooden fixtures
- Replace damaged windows and repair upholstery
- Test and adjust parts using testing gauges and other test equipment
- Perform and document routine maintenance.
Outlook & Prospects for Railway Carmen/women in Laval Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laval Region||<Not assigned>||2013-05-13|
Compared to other occupations, this is a relatively small occupational group in the Laval region with few and infrequent job opportunities.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Laval-based Motel Idéal is investing $3M to expand and renovate its facilities and change its name to Ô Motel et suites. They plan to add 20 new rooms and create close to a dozen new jobs. (available in French only)
- The labour dispute, which has been going on since May 2012, at the Mapei plant in Laval has ended. Of the 115 original workers, only 25 accepted the company¿s last offer; the others were laid off during the strike. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an investment of close to $1M, Institut de Formation en Aérospatiale (IFA) inaugurated its new customized training centre in Laval, Centre AéroCompétence, designed to train specialized workers (available in French only)
- Metro is closing its distribution centre in Québec City and will be grouping together its fruit, vegetable and dairy product distribution activities in its Laval-based distribution centre, which opened in 2013. This operation will create 80 jobs. (available in French only)
- Club d¿aviron de Laval announced the expansion of its training facilities, which will include the construction of a rowing tank, a practice area, a weight room and change rooms. This project is estimated at $3M. (available in French only)
- Construction of the new residential project, Habitat Veridis, recently began in Laval in the Auteuil sector. On completion, this project will number 2 000 units. Phase I will comprise 700 units, to be delivered beginning in May 2014. (available in French only)
- A new indoor trampoline centre, Isaute, opened its doors in early November in Laval. This new $1.5M facility has led to the creation of nearly 45 new jobs. (available in French only)
- Construction will begin at La Place de la Gare in the Centre de Laval industrial park. Work completion on this $5M commercial and residential building project of 73,000-sq.-ft. capacity is scheduled for the spring of 2014. (available in French only)
- Construction on a community housing co-op will start in spring 2014 in Laval. This project of 166 public housing units, Coopérative de solidarité du Bois Ellen, will require an investment of $33M and will be completed in summer 2015. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: