Explore Careers - Job Market Report
This unit group includes a range of technical, co-ordinating and supervisory workers who co-ordinate and perform specific activities for television, radio and motion picture productions, news broadcasts, theatre and stage productions, and other live or recorded productions. They are employed by television and radio stations and networks, recording studios, motion picture and video production companies, concert promoters and theatre, stage and dance companies.
costumier, floor manager – broadcasting, gaffer, key grip, lighting technician, make-up artist, program co-ordinator – broadcasting, property master – broadcasting, settings shop foreman/woman, special effects technician, stage manager, stage technician, stunt co-ordinator, theatre technician.
- Floor managers co-ordinate camera operators and other technical staff, and cue announcers, actors and performers during news broadcasts and television program tapings.
- Key grips supervise grips, gaffers and stagehands who rig, place, move and dismantle lights, sets, backdrops, scenery and other stage equipment.
- Gaffers and lighting technicians set up, operate and make repairs to lights and other electrical equipment in studios and on sets and stages.
- Stunt co-ordinators and special effects technicians design and co-ordinate special effects such as fires, explosions and crashes.
- Make-up artists apply cosmetic and special effects make-up on actors and other performers.
- Costumiers study scripts to determine the necessary costumes; oversee the acquisition, fitting and maintenance of costumes.
- Settings shop foremen assist in preparing the construction specifications for sets.
- Property masters identify and list the necessary props and place them during rehearsals and performances.
Outlook & Prospects for Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts in Laval Region
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Laval Region||(1 of 3 stars)||2013-05-06|
For the 2012-2014 period, job opportunities in the Laval region are expected to be limited for this occupation.
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Nov 25 - Nov 29, 2013
- Laval-based Motel Idéal is investing $3M to expand and renovate its facilities and change its name to Ô Motel et suites. They plan to add 20 new rooms and create close to a dozen new jobs. (available in French only)
- The labour dispute, which has been going on since May 2012, at the Mapei plant in Laval has ended. Of the 115 original workers, only 25 accepted the company¿s last offer; the others were laid off during the strike. (available in French only)
- Thanks to an investment of close to $1M, Institut de Formation en Aérospatiale (IFA) inaugurated its new customized training centre in Laval, Centre AéroCompétence, designed to train specialized workers (available in French only)
- Metro is closing its distribution centre in Québec City and will be grouping together its fruit, vegetable and dairy product distribution activities in its Laval-based distribution centre, which opened in 2013. This operation will create 80 jobs. (available in French only)
- Club d¿aviron de Laval announced the expansion of its training facilities, which will include the construction of a rowing tank, a practice area, a weight room and change rooms. This project is estimated at $3M. (available in French only)
- Construction of the new residential project, Habitat Veridis, recently began in Laval in the Auteuil sector. On completion, this project will number 2 000 units. Phase I will comprise 700 units, to be delivered beginning in May 2014. (available in French only)
- A new indoor trampoline centre, Isaute, opened its doors in early November in Laval. This new $1.5M facility has led to the creation of nearly 45 new jobs. (available in French only)
- Construction will begin at La Place de la Gare in the Centre de Laval industrial park. Work completion on this $5M commercial and residential building project of 73,000-sq.-ft. capacity is scheduled for the spring of 2014. (available in French only)
- Construction on a community housing co-op will start in spring 2014 in Laval. This project of 166 public housing units, Coopérative de solidarité du Bois Ellen, will require an investment of $33M and will be completed in summer 2015. (available in French only)
- Date Modified: